Beauty Product of the Week: Revlon Bedroom Eyes Powder Liner

What is it? Revlon has a whole batch of new, limited edition items hitting the market. Their Bedroom Eyes Powder Liner promises that "provocative, smoldering eyes are yours with Bedroom Eyes Powder Liner. The combination of our loose powder formula and sponge tip applicator creates a sexy, smoky eye look in one easy step. Available in an array of 6 rich, deep and smoky shades." Widely available at drugstores for about $8.00.

What did you think? Oh my. Where to start. First let me state the obvious: I know how to apply eyeliner. I've been doing it for years and I've used almost everything--pencils, liquids, creams, even eye shadows. It's never been a problem for me. Let me also say that for a drugstore brand, I adore Revlon since they don't test on animals (unlike almost every other drugstore brand) and their products are usually pretty nice. However, Bedroom Eyes is a glaring exception.

According to the directions, you're supposed to gently shake the product, then tap the applicator to remove any excess powder. This was a problem. There's no way to tap off the excess powder without getting it all over the place. If you do buy this product, make sure you grab a tissue (or two) to catch all the powder that will fall off.

Once you've shaken and tapped, you're supposed to apply the liner to the top and bottom lids, against the lash line. Not a problem, right? Wrong--so very, very wrong. Despite all my tapping, the second the applicator touched my lid, a thick flurry of brown powder landed on my nose and cheek. Charming. The applicator itself is way too thick to get a decent looking line of color. Instead, you end up with raccoon eyes. The liner is too thick, too smudgy, too messy.

The final verdict? Save your money, your time, and your face. While Revlon may promise sexy "bedroom" eyes with this product, you'll just end up looking like you were playing a little too rough in the sack. Unless you really want to look an abuse victim with black eyes, steer clear of this product. Revlon is really missing the mark--at least this is only a limited edition product!