Travel Beautifully!

I just got back from a quick getaway, so packing and FAA regulations were of no concern to me. Instead I just had to make sure I had enough clothes for a few nights and the right makeup to get me from day to night.

So what did I take? My normal Bare Escentuals mineral foundation and veil (i.e., powder!), a tube of mascara, two tubes of lip gloss, an eyeliner pencil, and the mark Flip for It palette I've been in love with lately. This, along with a moisturizer and undereye cream, neatly fit into my travel makeup case and didn't take up too much space in the suitcase.

With the holiday season fast approaching, you may be planning on a trip to the relatives (or to get the hell out of town and away from your clan). If you are, here are a few hints on looking beautiful while you travel:
  1. If you're flying, know the rules! Click here for an earlier post that thoroughly explains the 3-1-1 rule.
  2. Keep everything coordinated. Pack clothes in the same color-family so you can mix and match. If you have neutral, basic clothes and need to punch things up a bit colorwise, throw in a few pretty scarves to break up the monotony. The same goes for your makeup. Try to limit yourself to a great neutral palette and a few tubes of lipstick/gloss for color.
  3. Keep your lips hydrated. I left my favorite Burt's Bees lip balm in my car so I was constantly dealing with dry lips while in Portland over the weekend. Not fun. It would have been even worse if I had been flying. If your lips feel dry and cracked you're not going to have a good time. Just be sure to throw your favorite gloss or balm in your purse--apply it often to keep your lips feeling great!
  4. Be good to your skin. Don't forget to take your favorite face wash, moisturizer, or cream with you. When traveling, you're often in dry environments (like airplanes and hotel rooms where air flow is often overly regulated) and are dealing with new stresses (like pollution, stress from dealing with your family, whatever). When you're stressed, you need to be good to your skin--don't rely on hotel soap alone.
  5. Hoard samples! Sample sizes of your favorite products are ideal for travel. If you can't find sample sizes, you might consider buying small bottles designed for travel and filling them with a supply of your favorite goods. That way if something happens and let's say your sample size leaks or you leave it behind in the hotel you're not out a bunch of money or product. Plus who wants to pack a full size bottle of shampoo into a suitcase? Not cool.
On a final note, if you're like me and you use Bare Escentauls, be careful packing your mineral makeup. It can be very messy when you go to open it up. You might want to pick up a special BE refillable compact to safely transport your mineral makeup!

Blog Archive