Beauty Product of the Week: Shiseido Hydro-Powder Eye Shadow

What is it? Shiseido's revolutionary Hydro-Powder Eye Shadow is a "breakthrough eye formulation that was once thought impossible to create...Shiseido introduces unprecedented texture and dewy brilliance in intense, waterproof eye shadows. Cool to the touch, long-lasting, creamy with high moisturizing qualities and crease-resistant color. Each shadow can be used alone or in combination on the eyes or along the cheek and brow bones as a facial highlighter. This formula is made possible with Shiseido-exclusive W/O Solid Emulsion Formula Mechanism, a true innovation that's scientifically blends water, moisturizing ingredients, and pearl particles into an oil base for instant moisturizing effects with long lasting color." Available in nine shades at department stores and places like Sephora for $23.00 each.

What did you think? I haven't used Shiseido products before. While I am sure they are high-quality, I've been frightened by the cost. And the last thing I need to do to my budget is to go out and get hooked on super expensive, superior quality products. So it was with some apprehension that I tried this product out.

Normally I throw out the little makeup applicator that comes with cosmetics, but since the texture of this eye shadow was so different, I didn't want to use one of my brushes and opted to use what it came with. I'm glad I did. The applicator did a perfect job at getting the shadow onto my lids and made tracing the shape of my lid a snap.

The product itself is amazing. Everything I was afraid it would be: high quality, good color, long lasting, you name it. It goes on so smoothly and easily--at first I was convinced it was going to end up creasing. But this is a Shiseido product, and there's no way it would crease. It remained on my lid, looking perfect, until I washed it off. The eyeshadow felt very light and somewhat moisturizing at the same time.

The final verdict? Damn it. This baby is expensive, but it was amazing. The depth of color, the texture, the staying power...I hate to say it because I don't like to get you all excited about expensive things, but this is worth everyone of its 23 dollars. If it makes you feel any better, if you buy the Bare Pink shade (the color I tried out) during October, $5 will go to breast cancer research. Also, the more you use this stuff, the better for your skin--the moisturizing ingredients in the shadow will improve the moisture level around your eyes. So, I guess you could look at it as a two-for-one deal: eyeshadow and eye cream in one. If you have the budget for it and you want some really good, high quality eyeshadow, look no further than the Shiseido counter. You'll be glad you did!

Blog Archive