Stress Junkie

Like most of you, I live with a considerable amount of stress on a regular basis. I am a busy person and I honestly don't know how I would function if things were slower, easier, or quieter than they are now. Sure, after a few weeks I'd adjust to a slower pace, but I think all the stress in my life helps me focus and function well.

However, there are times when all I want to do is collapse in a heap and remain there, crumbled and motionless, for days. What to do when the world gets you down? Heal thyself! And how? I don't meditate or pray, I don't go to therapy. For me, relaxation means doing one of the following:
  • Writing
  • Taking a long, hot shower or bath
  • Going for a pedicure
  • Begging my husband for a massage
But what I should really be doing is rubbing my feet, or finding someone to do it for me. Why? Well, according to some, reflexology, the act of applying pressure to the feet with specific thumb and finger techniques, will reduce stress and make me feel better.

With reflexology, different zones in your feet correspond to parts of the rest of your body (see the reflexology map, above). Applying pressure and rubbing specific zones will benefit whatever body part/organ it relates to. It's all connected. And it sounds good to me. Just taking the time to stop whatever I'm doing to rub my feet sounds like it would be relaxing, and possibly feel good. To make things even easier, you can even rub certain parts of your hand in a similar manner to gain the same stress-busting effects of foot reflexology.

If you want to know more, click here for some interactive reflexology maps of the feet and hands. I say: what could it hurt? Stress relief is stress relief...period.

Blog Archive