Ask Lydia: Help My Winter Hair

Hi Lydia, I love your blog and now I need your help. I have been growing my hair out for awhile now, and it seems like the winter weather makes it dry, brittle, and flat. I also have static issues and sometimes my hair sticks straight up. It's a mess. Any suggestion on what to do? I don't really want to cut it because it's taken so long to grow out. Thanks for your help. Kara

Hi Kara!

Glad you like the blog...and thanks for your email.

Let me first say that, even though you don't want to do it, getting a haircut may be just what you need. My husband has long hair and loathes haircuts, but I get him in every year or so to trim things up. A haircut--even just a few inches--will get rid of all those dead ends that tend to stick out. Even if you take excellent care of your hair, you're bound to have some damage. A cut can give you more body, easier styling, and more life. No more "flatness" as you call it. I promise it will grow back, so seriously consider lopping off at least a few inches.

Now, on to caring for your hair and how to nurture it so it won't be all dry and brittle. You can try some anti-frizz serums--this will reduce your "static" issue and will give your hair a healthy shine. You might also want to try a hydrating hair mask. I've used one from Burt's Bees (an avocado hair butter) in the past and have had amazing results.

Switch over to conditioners that are hydrating during the winter season and try to ease off the styling tools. Heat from your hair dryer and curling and flattening irons will only further damage and dry out hair. If you have to use these tools, you may want to track down a product that will protect your hair from heat. I've used the Thermasilk line in the past with mixed results. However, there are quite a few products you can spray on your hair prior to drying that will protect your delicate hair.

You might also want to only wash your hair every other day. Give your hair and scalp a break. The natural oils in your scalp will help to protect your hair and might give you a better look. Ease into the every other day washing--you may feel a bit greasy at times, but try to stay with it. Ultimately it's better for your hair.

Oh and one more thing: if you feel like your hair is limp and "flat" you may want to go in for a color. When you color your hair the cuticles appear to be fuller, making your hair look thicker. It's a great trick!

Good luck and let me know what you do. For the rest of you, if you have a beauty question, please feel free to email me!

Blog Archive