Beauty Product of the Week: Dry Shampoo

What is it? Jonathan's Green Routine Dry Shampoo is "an all-natural hair powder that cleanses and refreshes the hair and scalp without the use of water. The powder helps create volume at the root, and the portable brush makes application simple and convenient. Talc and aluminum hydroxide help to absorb oil, dirt, and product buildup. It's free of petrochemicals, synthetic fragrances, parabens, phthalates, and silicone." Available in dark, light (and coming soon, black) shades for less than $20 from QVC.

What did you think? I received a sample of this product and have given it a try. Let me first post a disclaimer: I commit a terrible hair sin--I wash my hair every day. I tried this product a few times, after working out and getting my hair soaked with sweat (I blew it dry and then applied the dry shampoo).

Here's the good: I like the packaging of this product. It has a built-in brush to make applying the powder easy. It's small and spill-proof so you could easily toss it in your purse, overnight bag, or gym bag. The product is relatively simple to use and apply. And, like all of Jonathan's stuff, it's not tested on animals and is 100% vegan.

And the not so good: I just didn't see any vast improvements in the texture of my hair. I had a few splotches of light-colored powder that I had to brush through, but my scalp and roots still seemed a bit greasy. Maybe I should have used more product? I don't know...I was a bit nervous to over do it!

The final verdict? For me, I'd say this product is a pass. As I said, I'm in the horrible habit of washing my hair daily and really can't stand the way my hair and scalp feel when I miss a day.
I know that other people swear by dry shampoos and can get them to work. I'd rather just hop in the shower and get my lather on. We're all different! If you're not a daily shampoo-er or if you like dry shampoos, I'd recommend you give this one a try.

Blog Archive