I'm Melting

I grew up in the Baltimore area and suffered though 18 summers of the Three Hs: hazy, hot, and humid. Not only is Maryland hot in the summer, it's also crazy humid. I remember with no fondness whatsoever how my hair would flop and grow limp, how my mascara would run, and how my foundation would slip, all thanks to 100 degree days with 100% humidity. (It's no wonder I moved to the Pacific Northwest where we have very little heat and hardly any humidity!)

If you live in a place with high temperatures and so much humidity that you can almost swim through the air, applying makeup can be tricky. Here's some helpful advice I could have used all those years ago:
  • Stop slippage before it starts by controlling your skin's natural oils. Use products that reduce the amount of sebum in your skin. Sebum is the stuff in your skin that promotes yucky things like oil, acne, even body odor. Start your day with something like Cosmedicine's Healthy Cleanse Foaming Cleanser and Toner All-in-One that will clean your skin and keep oils at bay.
  • When applying makeup, use a skin primer that will provide a matte finish. Products like Make Up Forever's Base Matifying Primer will remove shine and leave your skin velvety--not greasy.
  • Change out your normal cosmetics for the summer and opt for long-lasting formulas like cream-based eye shadow, waterproof mascara, waterproof liquid eyeliner, etc.
  • If you're really concerned about a makeup melt down, try a makeup sealer like those found in this cool kit to keep your face in place!
Get out there and enjoy your hot, humid days. I'll be just fine in the rainy, moderate Seattle climate!

Blog Archive