White Stripes

White eyeliner has been showcased in the beauty world for a while now, but I never paid much attention to it. A lot of people have very strong opinions about white liner--they either love it or hate it. I've had no real opinion, though I have personally never tried white liner. However, I recently saw a woman at Sephora wearing it and it looked amazing on her. This all got me thinking--how are you supposed to wear white eyeliner? Could I, a mere mortal, pull off the look?

Here are some guidelines:

Why wear white eyeliner?
It makes your eyes look larger and defines their shape better than black, brown or other dark shades. It also seems to illuminate the skin and provides a fresh looking face when done right. When done wrong, it just looks frightening!

How to wear white liner?
Unlike dark liners, white is best applied to the inner corner of your upper and/or lower lids. This way it brightens a normally dark area to really accentuate your eyes. If you use it on the entire lid area, just be sure to stay as close to the lash line as possible.

Is there a wrong way to wear it?
Of course! A severe, sharp white line around your eyes will detract from your eyes--not what you want. Depending on your skin tone, you might consider using an off-white, shimmery white, ivory, or silver liner to achieve an illuminating look that is similar to white liner but not as shockingly noticeable.

I don't know--I'm still a white eyeliner skeptic, but I'm willing to give it a try. One final word: any time you're trying out a dramatically new makeup look, it is best to try it out at home before you face the world. Practice makes perfect, so you may want to play with your eyeliner pencil if you're considering trying out white liner. I own a white liner pencil and just might have to play around with it. I'll let you know how I do! What do you think? If white eyeliner a do or a don't?

Blog Archive