Behind the Blog

I've been writing Kiss and Makeup since July 2006. Wow--a lot has happened in that time and yet it's gone by so quickly. While I write all about makeup and beauty products, I haven't ever really told you all about WHY I write this blog. It's time for a peak behind the curtain, so to speak.

WHO IS LYDIA?
Here's what I'm not: I'm not a makeup artist, I'm not an advertiser, I don't work in the cosmetics industry. I really am just your average beauty consumer. I'm in my early 30s, I live in the Seattle area (though I grew up on the east coast), I'm married, don't have any kids, and have to work full time. For my day job I work as an Admin Assistant for a teacher's union. It's not a glamorous job, but I'm paid well and I have a great deal of freedom in my job. While I love, love, love makeup, I don't consider myself overly trendy and I don't like spending tons of money for designer products when cheaper products are just as good. If you really want to know more about my non-makeup life, click here to go to my other blog.

WHY KISS-AND-MAKEUP?
I started Kiss and Makeup because I wanted an outlet to write. At the time I was also honing my inner girly-girl, and was changing my ways to take more time and care in my appearance. I have always had an interest in makeup and I wanted my blog to give me a place to focus on this interest. I never expected to have as many readers as I do now, and I'm thrilled each time I get comments on what I write or when the numbers on my Stat Counter spike.

I think of Kiss and Makeup as a way to communicate with a large group of women who are, like me, trying to put their best face forward. My sister is not a girly girl, so everything I learned about makeup I taught myself through trial and error and by reading fashion magazines. I like Kiss and Makeup to be a two way conversation. I have plenty left to learn and I also want to share the knowledge I already have. Though I first started writing for me, I now find myself writing for you...hoping what I'm saying makes sense and provides some insight and entertainment to my readers.

WHY NO ADVERTISING?
You may or may not have noticed, but I don't have any ads on my site. This is a deliberate move on my part. Yes, I could probably make some money if I included ads. Yes, I have been contacted to put ads on my blog. To me, not having ads allows me to be a bit more free in my reviews. I also don't like the way advertising looks on a blog--I think it clutters things up. You never know, one day I may get an offer I can't refuse, but until that day comes, Kiss and Makeup remains independent and free from advertising (you get enough ads in your life!).

DO YOU BUY ALL YOUR STUFF?
No, but I do buy my fair share. PR and cosmetics companies do send me products to try from time to time. There was an article in the New York Times awhile back that was very critical of beauty bloggers. This article caused an uproar in the blogging community. The Times said beauty bloggers are swag whores, and that companies love working with bloggers because they'll always give glowing reviews of the free products they receive. I don't think this is true. It certainly isn't true here at my blog. If I don't like a product, I'll say so--whether I bought it with my own money or if it was given to me.

So, there you go. That's me and my blog in a nutshell. As always, if you have any beauty questions you can email me at asklydia@hotmail.com or leave me a comment (I heart comments!).

Blog Archive