A Bounty of Body Lotions!

I don't know about you, but now that Winter is winding down and Spring is (slowly) coming, I need to take better care of my skin. I have plenty of rough patches and areas of dry, flaky skin. Not a good look for the coming months! To help get my skin back into shape, I've been trying out a bunch of different moisturizers.

Here are my thoughts:

NIVEA BODY NATURAL TONE
What it's supposed to do: "Enriched with naturally derived eventone complex and UVA/UVB sun-protection, it gradually evens out skin tone and helps prevent future discolorations while keeping skin soft and moisturized."
Cost/availability: about $7; available at drugstores
Thoughts: It goes on easily and absorbs quickly into my skin. It feels cool and light and has helped even out my skin tone a bit. However, I don't like the way this product smells. There's nothing offensive about it's scent...it just has a generic drugstore scent to it that keeps me from using it as much as I should.
Grade: B
SEPHORA BODY BUTTER IN RIVERA BLUE
What it's supposed to do: "This thick, luxurious moisturizer rejuvenates skin with natural shea butter and beeswax, which softens skin and prevents against moisture loss."
Cost/availability: $16 at Sephora
Thoughts: This product has a very strong, distinctive scent. I personally love the way it smells--it has a clean citrus/lavender/sandalwood scent that I really like. It comes in a big tub that you stick your hand in to get the product out--not the best design, but ok...whatever. It makes my skin feel good and smell good, but if you take away the scent, you have just an average product.
Grade: B-

OLAY BODY QUENCH MOUSSE ACTIVE HYDRATION
What it's supposed to do: "...gives you three dimensions of hydration: sheer coverage - glides easily and evenly onto skin, instant absorption - penetrates quickly beneath skin's surface, lasting hydration - continuously moisturizes throughout the day."
Cost/availability: about $7 at drugstores
Thoughts: I'm a klutz when it comes to using mousse. I can never gauge how much is enough and how much is too much. This is true of hair mousse, and it's true of this mousse-style body lotion. That said, this product feels nice and cool when it goes on. It smells a little like watermelon (which I don't particularly like). I think it takes too long for this product to dry, resulting in tacky feeling skin.
Grade: B-

CLEAN LOGIC REFRESH BODY LOTION IN REFRESH WITH NOPAL
What it's supposed to do: "Nopal plants are indigenous to Mexico and have been used for centuries to cure an array of ailments. Most notably, Nopal is known for its deep healing and anti-inflammatory properties with antioxidants that can help neutralize the harmful effects daily activities and stress can have on the skin. Nopal can even help to prevent wrinkles, balance skin tone and moisturize to keep skin looking youthful."
Cost/availability: just under $13; available at cleanlogicbodycare.com
Thoughts: This lotion doesn't have parabens or other nasty ingredients. It's spearmint scent is strong coming out of the tube, but doesn't linger--probably a good thing. I like the way this product feels--it goes on easily and feels light. I would like to keep this in the fridge so that it goes on really cool for the summer.
Grade: A

KIEHL'S CREME DE CORPS LIGHTWEIGHT BODY LOTION
What it's supposed to do: "This light-weight body lotion, a lighter version of our classic Creme de Corps body cream, moisturizes skin and leaves it soft and smooth all day long. Our "Creme de Corps Light" is ideal for normal or dry skin and is formulated with unique, skin-soothing ingredients derived from nature - Jojoba Butter, Olive Fruit Oil, and Sweet Almond Oil. The formula helps protect against damaging free radicals and further helps skin to maintain its natural moisture balance and prevents moisture loss. Absorbs quickly and instantly soothes and conditions skin for a lovely, silky feel with "dress-and-go" convenience."
Cost/availability: $21.50 at Kiehl's stores or online
Thoughts: I love this one! It's light but it really leaves my skin hydrated. Because it has almost no scent, I can use this right out of the shower and not worry about how it's scent is going to interact with my perfume (if I wear perfume!). This is a very simple product, but sometimes simple is good.
Grade: A

What's your favorite body lotion? Leave me a comment and let me know!

Blog Archive