Beauty Product of the Week: Color Sensational Lipstick

What is it? Maybelline's Color Sensational Lipstick promises to let you "fall in love with color, all over again with crisper color from pure pigments, creamier feel from nourishing honey nectar, lipcolor so rich, so stunning… it’s sensational." Available in 48 shades at drug stores and big box stores for about $5.50.


What did you think? I haven't worn an actual lipstick in ages.  I've been wearing lipgloss almost exclusively all year long, specifically Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipgloss.  I seem to prefer a lightweight, slicker feel on my lips.  However, I wanted to try out something heavier recently and picked up a tube of Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Cinnamon Stick.

I love the color I get from this product.  It's rich and deep and darn near perfect.  The lipstick itself seems a bit heavier and dryer than other lipsticks I've worn in the past.  I think my favorite drugstore lipstick is from Revlon, but it's been years since I actually picked up a tube.


Here's what I like about the Maybelline Color Sensational line:
  • There are tons of colors to pick from
  • It's not a long wearing lipstick (I hate lip products designed to be worn all day--they get really dry and icky!)
  • It doesn't have a distracting taste/scent
  • It seems to last a good long time
Now here's what I'm not crazy about:
  • It seems a bit dull (as in lacking in shine), but I suspect I feel this way because I am used to gloss.  A quick coat of clear gloss could fix this.
  • It feels heavy and seems to settle into the lines of my lips more than I'd like.
The final verdict? Overall, I think the good outweighs the bad.  For the price, you can't beat it.  I say give it a try if you're in the market for a real lipstick.

Blog Archive