Finishing powders!: MAC Prep+Prime and E.L.F. HD Powder Comparison

'A silky finishing powder that provides an invisible way to set makeup. Reduces shine while optically minimizing the look of pores, lines, imperfections. Available in one universal colour that suits all shades. Wear over makeup or on bare, moisturized skin.'
9 g / 0.32 US OZ, USD $22.00

Ingredients:  Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Silica, Mica, Zinc Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol





E.L.F. HD Powder (as per E.L.F.'s website):
'The high definition loose powder creates a "soft focus" effect to the skin. Masks fine lines and imperfections for a radiant complexion. The incredibly soft and invisible powder is great for on-screen and everyday wear.'
8g / 0.28 US OZ, USD $6.00


Ingredients: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica.




My experience with them:
MAC Prep+Prime Finishing Transparent Powder and the E.L.F. HD Powder are both great products. They are designed to set our makeup, "hide" imperfections and to make the skin look and feel soft.  After months of using both of them, I'd say they deliver what they promise.  Yes, yes, my skin texture gets incredibly soft after I apply this powder over my foundation or after finishing my whole makeup look. Great for photos.

Similarities:
  • White powders that are transparent on the skin.
  • Not too much product is needed for great results.  Too much product can leave a white cast on the skin (blend it!)
  • Both provide, a velvety not-to-matte finish.
  • I find that they can accentuate dry areas on my skin; on the other hand, be careful not to apply on moist skin (yeah, that is always a no-no).
  • I'm careful of not applying them in the under-eye area because it looks and feel dry (maybe is the silica?), though that happens more with the MAC powder than the ELF Powder.
  • Both powder have silica and I feel they do help to control my oilies for a few hours.
  • Not a fan of the packaging on both, they can get really messy (be careful when opening!). I do wish the packaging of the ELF powder was smaller.

Differences:
  • Price per ounce, of course.
  • Ingredients--Though both have Silica, the ELF HD has silicones (dimethicone); MAC P+P Powder has Corn Starch and Mica.  Different ingredients that may cause different reactions on the skin. Apparently, though my skin is a little sensitive, I haven't had any issues.
  • I feel the ELF HD blends easier and feel softer than the MAC P+P, pretty sure it's because of the silicones.
  • The ELF HD has a faint chemical smell; not something terrible, but it is there.
  • To me, the MAC P+P powder stays on longer on my skin and does a better job on dealing with small lines and huge pores.
I apply both these products with a makeup puff and then blend with a kabuki or powder brush.

If I need to refresh my makeup during the day, I blot and then apply any of them again and my makeup looks great, almost as if I've just applied it.

I honestly can't choose between the two. I like how the MAC P+P powder deals with my  skin imperfections for a longer period of time, that is a huge concern for me.  What I do is I use the ELF powder for my daily makeup routine and the MAC one mostly for special occasions.  'Til next time.

ETA: Everyday natural look using the ELF HD Powder **Click on pic, then click again for enlarged, hi-res pic**




¡Vivan, amen y rĂ­an!

Blog Archive