The 411 on 3-1-1

It's been a stressful day. Your poor little beauty blogger had to step out of her comfort zone to deal with a bunch of grease monkeys, all in the name of love. My husband had a flat tire, so I stepped up and took care of it since he was stuck at work and I'm the Queen of Comp Time. *Sigh*

The hassle of today's harsh tire reality really makes me look forward to my upcoming trip to Vermont where I can unplug and de-stress. But since I'm flying back east, I need to jump through a whole bunch of hoops just to get on the darn airplane. And the rules about carrying on liquids, gels, etc. seems unnecessarily confusing.

So to help all of you who plan to fly anytime soon, here's the skinny on the TSA's crazy rules:

PACKING YOUR CARRY-ON: 3-1-1
To get through the inspection process faster, remember the 3-1-1 rule. This means:
  • All liquids, creams, gels, and aerosols must be in 3 ounce or smaller containers. For example, a 3 oz. trial sized bottle of mouthwash is fine for your carry on, but if you have a larger bottle of mouthwash containing only 3 oz. of actual liquid, the TSA will snag it from you. Take some time to put your liquids, etc. in containers that are 3 ounces or less. You can get plastic bottles and containers from places like Storables or the Container Store.
  • All your 3 ounce containers must fit in a 1 quart ziplock bag.
  • You are only allowed 1 ziplock bag per passenger.
  • All liquids larger than 3 ounces (or anything that doesn't fit in your 1 quart ziplock) must be checked.
  • For perspective, a tube of Great Lash mascara is .43 ounces; a tube of lipstick is about .13 ounces; deodorants are about 2.7 ounces, and moisturizers are often in 4 ounce bottles.
If you're smart about packing your liquids, I bet you could get a lot of your cosmetics through security without any problem. More good news: tweezers, nail clippers, and nail files are all allowed in carry on. Thankfully, so are knitting needles! I'll be knitting and purling my way across the country in a few days.

For more information about the TSA's rules for packing, go to www.tsa.gov.

Blog Archive