Summer Flavor, Summer Style: Berries

I love a big serving of sweet, ripe berries in the summertime. I have such fond memories from my teenage years of eating bowls of strawberries and cream out in a patio under the stars on hot, humid, Annapolis nights.

Because of their delicious, sweet flavor and their bright, beautiful colors, cosmetics companies have long been using berries in their products. Here are a few of my faves:
  • Strawberry Shower Gel from The Body Shop, $10.50. About 10 years ago, I lived in London and had almost no money. The very little money I had went on a few things: the theater, alcohol, and trips to The Body Shop. In my little flat, I was lucky enough to have a bathtub, and I spent many hours soaking in The Body Shop's Strawberry Bath Bubbles. While Strawberry Bubble Bath is no longer on the market, this shower gel is the next best thing. The scent of strawberries is surprisingly relaxing and the fragrance is delicious!
  • Sun-Ripened Raspberry Antibacterial Hand Gel from Bath and Body Works, $4. I'm not a huge fan of antibacterial soaps, but this product, and all of the Bath and Body Works soaps, are my exception. The soap is perfectly scented--it's not too overwhelming, but still noticeable. It leaves your hands feeling soft and smelling like berries for quite a while. There are worse things to smell like!
  • Super Shimmer Lipgloss in Pretty Berry by Sephora, $10. Sephora's lipglosses are a great value! They glide on easily and feel great on your lips, and this shiny berry/mauve color is soft and flattering, making it perfect for your everyday summer look.
Sun ripened berries are the epitome of summer, but if you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Blog Archive