Be Safe But Don't Panic!

May is Skin Cancer Awareness month. I know it's not the sexiest topic out there, but skin cancer is a killer. And it's preventable. I have advocated over and over that you always wear some sort of SPF, no matter what type or color of skin you have, no matter if its sunny or cloudy. The bottom line is that you need to take care of yourself.

Throughout this month I will be harping on all of you to wear your sun protection. I'll give you some interesting facts to consider, tips for being safe in the sun...maybe I'll even do a giveaway or two.

My hope is that you'll be more educated about the risks and remedies of skin cancer...however, I don't want you to overreact to crazy news stories.

Many of you probably read the recent article suggesting that lip gloss could "invite" skin cancer. The theory is that shiny things attract light, and as such, shiny lips could possible increase one's exposure to UV rays. The article briefly mentions that there have been no reports definitively linking lip gloss use to skin cancer, but I think that fact needs to be underscored.

My personal opinion (and I'm just a consumer, not a scientist) is that this "link" seems sort of silly. Are "they" going to say next that having shiny hair invites skin cancer to your scalp? After all, shiny things do attract UV rays. I just don't like the knee-jerk reaction the media wants us to have to this story. Are we supposed to throw out all of our glosses now?

No....of course not!

The one good thing that came from this story is that it will get more people to consider wearing a balm or gloss that contains sun blockers. And if more cosmetics companies start including SPF into their lip products, that would be a very positive step in the right direction.

Bottom line? Wear your gloss. If you are concerned about inviting skin cancer with your shiny lips, apply a product with SPF on your lips first, or look for a gloss that contains SPF--there are plenty on the market to pick from. Don't believe me? Go to Sephora and type in "gloss spf" in their search box...you'll have plenty of choices right before your eyes.

Blog Archive