DIY: Tips for Dying at Home

At the start of the week, I asked you about your dying habits.  Mine have changed over the years.  I used to dye my hair myself, in an attempt to save money and because I have only recently found a stylist I adore.  Now?  I go to my stylist (not as often as I should) for both a cut and a color.  But lately I've been toying with going back to my old ways, to dying my hair at home.

If you're an at  home hair dyer (or want to be!) here are some tips for getting the job done right.  I don't think home hair dying is particularly difficult or scary, but that could just be me...whatevs.  Here are some tips...as always, feel free to add your two cents in the comments!
  1. Pick the right color.  Check out this cool site!  They give advice for finding the perfect shade.  Before you leave the store, take a second to make sure all the products inside the box match the color on the outside of the box.  I get paranoid that some prankster's going to put red dye in the blond boxes, blond in the black, and so on.  Just take a second to make sure you're buying the right product before you head home.
  2. Make sure your hair is in good shape and is not freshly washed.  You'll want some of the natural oils in your hair present to help protect the scalp and to aid in even distribution.
  3. Prep your area.  Make sure you read the directions and then read them again...before you get started. Take a few moments to gather all the necessary tools, towels, timers, etc.  You don't want to have to chase down a comb in the middle of the dying process!
  4. Pick your dying location well.  I always dyed my hair in the bathroom.  I had the best light available, and a wall-sized mirror so I could see hard to reach areas of my head more easily, using a hand mirror and the wall mirror.
  5. Follow all the directions.  Yes, ALL of them.  Take your time and make sure to saturate the hair as best you can.  Keep the dye on for the amount of time the instructions indicate.  Don't deviate from what the instructions are telling you because you think you know better.  You probably don't!
  6. Don't panic if the dye in your hair looks dark...or funny.  You can't tell what the final product will look like when your head is soaked with dye.  You'll need to trust the process.
  7. Rinse really, really well.  You don't want to leave any dye in your hair (it will be a total mess!) so be sure you take your time and rinse every strand free of dye.  You'll know you're done when the water dripping from your head runs clear.
  8. Follow all after care instructions.  Use the deep conditioning treatment the manufacturer gives you and use it as directed.  Invest in shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair.
  9. Enjoy your new look!
Before I close for the day, here's another fun (quick) poll for you:

Do you lie about dying your hair?
Yes. Everyone THINKS this is my natural color.
No. Why bother? Everyone dyes their hair, so why lie?
I don't dye my hair.

  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Blog Archive