Ask Lydia: I Hate My Hair!

Dear Lydia,

I really enjoy your site. I hate my hair right now. I had long hair and had several inches cut off. Now my home perm from last July seemed to reactivate. My hair's a mess. If I have time I can roll or flat-iron it. But I usually don't have the time. I've tried several different hair products to get it more under control. I don't blow dry it. Any suggestions or styles I can try? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Christin

Hi Christin! Thanks for your message. God, I've been where you are--my hair is a constant source of irritation. It seems to have a mind of its own!

From what you've described, it sounds like your hair has been through the ringer over the past several months. While there are things you can do at home to help heal your hair, I think the most important thing you could do at this point would be to seek out professional help.

Even if you don't want to lose a lot of length, a good stylist can cut out years of damage caused by constant heat styling, at-home styling techniques, and other potential disasters. They'll also work with you to find a hair style that will not only flatter your face, but will also fit your lifestyle. If your hair is driving you crazy, it's time to call for an appointment. The money you spend on a good cut will be money well spent. Your hair will look healthier, be more manageable, and will grow in better after your appointment.

If you don't have a regular stylist, start talking to women you know who's hair you like to see who they go to. A good stylist can be a life-changer, and it's worth it to find someone you like (and trust). It's an important relationship to develop--the better they know you, the better your experience will be.

Until you get into see a stylist, you may want to try some at home conditioning treatments to get your hair under control. You may consider a weekly mask (like Frederic Fekkai's Protein RX Reparative Treatment Mask
or Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Treatment) or a hot oil treatment. The added moisture will tame your hair and make it easier to work with.

Good luck, Christin! I hope you're able to get your hair under control!

Blog Archive