Curses! Foiled Again!

Although I've dyed my own hair almost every color imaginable (I still have pictures of me in my younger days with purple, blue, and pink hair--I was soooo cool!), I'm not really that "in the know" when it comes to different salon dying techniques. Now that I'm all grown up, my natural blonde hair has darkened a bit, and I really prefer to keep my locks as blonde as I can tolerate. Thus, I've gotten into the habit of getting a partial foil as often as I can afford it. Then I was thinking--what's the difference between a partial foil and a full foil?

I busted out my mad Internet research skills, and here's what I found out:

PARTIAL FOIL
  • Normally, the top and sides of the head are the focus of your stylist in a partial foil.
  • Partial foils are sometimes meant to be "touch ups" between regular highlighting sessions.
  • Partial foils last 4 to 6 weeks, depending on how dark your roots are.
  • Partial foils are cheaper (though not cheap!), and are ideal if you regularly wear your hair down.
FULL FOIL
  • This technique highlights the entire head, down to the nape of the neck.
  • Full foils are preferable if you wear your head up most of the time.
  • Full foil highlights can last 3 to 6 months, depending on your roots and frequency of shampooing.
  • Full foils usually cost more than partials.
I don't know if that helped at all, or if it only confused the matter. I won't even get into the world of Balayage--that's another topic for another time!

Blog Archive