Beauty Product of the Week: Revlon 3D Extreme Mascara

What is it? Revlon's brand-spanking new 3D Extreme Mascara "Dramatizes eyes with 25x fuller, 70% curvier, and 80% visibly longer lashes with beautiful separation. Lashes appear multiplied from every angle. Unique Bold Impact™ Brush features a breakthrough design to build dramatic lashes in three ways:
  • Shorter bristles deposit mascara for extreme fullness.
  • Extended bristles lift lashes up and out for maximum length, curl and separation.
  • Tapered tip reaches corners of eyes to magnify and multiply the smallest of lashes.
  • Patented lightweight gel formula spirals around each lash with intense color for maximum impact with no caking or flaking."
Available at drugstores for between $9.00 and $13.00.
What did you think? Mascara is a beauty must, and if you've read my blog for any amount of time, you'll know I'm a Maybelline Great Lash devotee. Even though I'm pretty loyal in my personal relationships, I'm a brand whore when it comes to mascara. I'll try any brand, any price point...you name it, I'll apply it to my lashes.

I've recently been thinking a lot about mascara (I know, I need to get a life!), and it seems like mascaras either provide length OR provide fullness...they never do both. So when I saw that Revlon's newest mascara, 3D Extreme, offered both full and long lashes, I had to give it a try.

What makes this mascara unique is its wand. I've never seen a wand quite like it. The bristles are really short and there are empty sections that look like big chunks have been taken out of the brush. In theory, this avant guard wand is supposed to deposit mascara easily to the shortest, smallest lashes. I found that all it provided was tarry, clumpy lashes that needed a lot of combing to make look somewhat decent.

The final verdict? My lashes were longer and darker, but I didn't feel that they were fuller or prettier than they are with Great Lash. If anything, I found them to look very spidery. I don't know how else to describe it. I was unimpressed with the amount of clumping, and the overly thick, tarry texture of the mascara was a put off.

Yet again, my love for Great Lash has been confirmed. I'll begrudgingly finish out my tube of 3D Extreme, but I won't buy it ever again.

Blog Archive