Product Review: Skin Effects by Dr. Jeffrey Dover

Over the past few weeks I've been testing out a few skin care products from the Skin Effects by Dr. Jeffrey Dover line. I wanted to really give these products a good test drive before giving you all a review. All the products mentioned below are available at CVS stores or at www.cvs.com if you're like me and don't have CVS in your area (sometimes I really miss the east coast!).

Redder than Rudolph?

Try skin effects Flawless Effects Redness Control Calming Gel Cleanser, a gentle daily cleanser that brightens skin and gently lifts away makeup and impurities without irritation. The formulation helps to visibly reduce skin redness, flushing and inflammation that come from harsh winter winds with a special blend of Arnica, Solomon’s Seal, Cypress and Malt with tonic action extracts. This product is formulated to be soap-free and fragrance-free for red, irritated skin and skin prone to rosacea. Price: $12.99 for 6.6 fl. oz.

My take: I've been using this cleanser every day. I really like how gentle it is on my skin. It doesn't dry my face out at all--sometimes my skin feels tight after I wash it, but not this cleanser. It dispenses easily and does a great job removing makeup and other yucky things that no doubt find their way to my face each day. There is basically no scent to this, which is nice. I don't have rosacea or skin that is especially prone to redness, so I can't say for sure if this would help out with such issues. The only thing I'd probably change about this product is the color. I don't like the fake blue tone to it, though I imagine that the color somehow helps provide redness relief.

Lips Lacking Luster?

Try skin effects Lip Effects Complete Lip Care System, a revolutionary 3-step regimen that exfoliates, repairs and moisturizes while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the lips. Step 1) Lip Smoothing Scrub, Step 2) Peptide Treatment Serum, and Step 3) Lip Balm SPF 15. Price: $19.99 for two 3.5 g tubes and one 3.5 g pen


My take: The lip scrub is easy to apply and does a nice job exfoliating. It leaves my lips smooth and not cracked like they can be in the winter. Both the treatment serum and the lip balm soothed and refreshed my lips, leaving them feeling moisturized and protected--not sticky, like some balms. My only problem with the balm and the serum was their design. They are like clicky pens...you have to click the top of the applicator to get the product to dispense. At first it took me awhile to "prime" both products, but once I did they were easy to use.

Little Time to Fix Those Little Lines?

Try skin effects Daily Quenching Mask, with Transdermal-24 technology (a patented compound that forms an invisible layer over skin keeping active ingredients in place for more than 24 hours). This intense mask infuses and seals in moisture, thoroughly rehydrating skin in just minutes for all day continuous treatment. In just five minutes, skin appears satin-soft, healthy-looking and radiant. Price: $19.99 for 1 oz. tube

My take: This mask is pretty cool! You can either put it on for five minutes and then wash it off, OR you can apply it and then wear it to bed, which is how I used it. It's very mild and full of moisture. It left my skin amazingly smooth in the morning, a feeling that carried over the rest of the day. I loved it! The only downside of this was the scent. It might just be me, but this has a slightly fishy smell that is somewhat off-putting. That said, it's still a very decent product, especially for the price.

Drier than a Martini?

Try skin effects Intensive Overnight Repair Cream, an intense hydrating cream that contains breakthrough peptide technology clinically-proven to reduce the depth of wrinkles while preventing new lines and wrinkles from forming. When used daily, this advanced regenerating formula will encourage collagen and elastin formation for skin that is smoother, firmer and younger-looking. Price: $19.99 for 1 oz. jar

My take: This product also gave me an amazing amount of moisture. It left my skin feeling smoother and softer--all good! I love using a special night cream, and this one did everything it said it would. My winter skin is usually dry and flaky, but this products left me moisturized but not greasy. Just what I wanted from a night cream.

Again, all these products are readily available at CVS. They have the right price and deliver a ton of winter relief. Perfect for this time of year!

Blog Archive