Run To The Hills

Ok, it's official. I am old and out of touch....somewhat. I must confess that I have never watched The Hills. While I do know who some of the players are, I've never actually sat down and watched the show. What little I know of The Hills comes by way of Perez Hilton and The Soup on E! (who doesn't love Joel McHale?). However, I did notice that Avon is cashing in on The Hills popularity by selling Lauren Conrad-approved mark. products. Most of the products marked as Lauren Conrad "faves" are jewelry, but in their Fall '08 catalog, they mentioned that Lauren loves this color, or Lauren swears by this product.

Whatever.

Anyway, all this got me thinking about how important "celebrity" approval is in the cosmetics industry. It's everywhere in the fragrance world. You can smell like almost any celeb, from Sarah Jessica Parker to Mariah Carey, from Paris Hilton to Britney Spears.

And now the trend of celebrity endorsements is reaching makeup. There's the Lauren Conrad/mark tie in, the Kat Von D for Sephora line, the Ashley Judd/American Beauty (Kohl's) connection...hell, even Jack Black has a line of products for men.

This begs the question: How much do you value celebrity lines when it comes to beauty/fragrance? I'm trying to think if any of the products I use regularly are tied in with celebs...nope! Nothing I use has a celebrity's name attached to it. I do value the brand (Bare Escentuals, Maybelline, etc.), but celebrity endorsement has no pull for me. In fact, at times it turns me off.

But what say you? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this subject!

Blog Archive