How To Look Good....When You Feel Like Crap!

I'm a relatively healthy person, but I do suffer from seasonal allergies (pollen is my arch enemy). To add to my sneezing and running eyes, I got a nasty cold last week. I spent too many days with a stuffed up nose, a raging headache, and the itchy-est, watery-est eyes ever. To put it short and sweet: I felt like crap.

But a cold/allergies can't keep a good woman down...oh no! So here we go...here are my quick tips for looking presentable when all you want to do is crawl under the covers with a box of aloe tissues shoved up your nose:
  1. After you take all your meds, be sure to exfoliate and then moisturize. The skin around my nose and lips tends to get scaly and gross when a cold/allergies strike. Exfoliate your lips by brushing them lightly with your toothbrush, and be sure to coat your irritated nasal area with moisturizer.
  2. Lay down a light foundation. When I'm not feeling great and I have to go out into the world, I don't like spend a lot of time on makeup. I've been swearing by Laura Geller's Barely There Tinted Moisturizer. It makes my skin feel good and provides a light amount of color and coverage.
  3. Add a little color. To give my skin a little lift, I swipe a bit of Pur Mineral's Mineral Glow over my cheeks and on my eyelids (instead of wearing eyeshadow).
  4. Groom the brows. Colds and allergies mean weepy eyes for me (so lovely), so spending a lot of time applying makeup that will run down my face doesn't make a lot of sense. I do, however, take a moment to make sure my brows are in place and fill in what I need to using Anastasia's Universal Brow Definer.
  5. Curl lashes and apply mascara--at your own peril! Even if I don't bust out the mascara, I'll at very least curl my lashes. Since mascara is my favorite beauty product, I tend to add a quick coat of whatever waterproof mascara I have in my kit. I just think it helps make my eyes look a little more open and a little less frightening.
  6. Keep your lips hydrated! A stuffy nose means mouth-breathing, and mouth-breathing means chapped lips. I've been using (and love!) LypSyl LypMoisturizer.
That's all I do. 6 steps to looking less awful when you're feeling like death warmed over. What do you do when you don't feel good? Do you even bother with makeup?

Blog Archive