Drugstore Foundation Love!: Neutrogena Healthy Skin & L'oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute Foundations

My skin right now:  NC 37 in SFF, NC 40 in SFF Powder and ProLongwear;
Combination skin (normal to dry cheeks with oily t-zone)

++WARNING: Long post w/ many pics++

The quality of drugstore cosmetics has changed for good pretty much in the last couple of years. Of course, price has gone up too but to me nothing beats getting a great product in the drugstore/general store (like Walmart) nearest your home. A place you go often to buy everyday stuff.

Maybe you have read my articles about 'Drugstore Products I Love' specifically this one about foundation.  That article is 2 years old, but I still love the Revlon Colorstay Makeup. Now I mostly use the Normal/Dry Skin formula since that one doesn't have alcohol (at least for what I can read in the ingredients list). To me, Alcohol is the basic difference with the Combo/Oily skin formula and I think that's why this last one dries up so fast when applying it.  I do wish Revlon would provide more shades with yellow undertones, though I can deal with beige shades like True Beige or Natural Tan. Sometimes I just mix the Capuccino--sorry, I mean the Caramel and Buff shades (the ones I consider the darkest and lightest shades with yellow undertones--Capuccino is too orange/red for me) to get a great match. 

I love this foundation stays on my face all day, providing great coverage (I suffer from melasma) and almost no transfer to my clothes or paper tissues. And yes, I do have to moisturize very well when using this foundation but the finish is flawless. Love it.

I do not use Colorstay everyday, basically because I'm a foundation junkie and have so many--I just enjoy using a different product everytime.  

As my skin changes with age, I have looked for more moisturizing products. I have Combination skin: normal to dry cheeks, oily t-zone.  So I've been using the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation SPF 20 (Reg. $12.49 USD) for months now (hence my pics with long hair...I miss it so much...).  It's the one with the new packaging--super cute little bottle.  I think this foundation is amazing, provides a healthy glow to the skin, enough coverage and decent SPF. I really feel I'm applying a moisturizing lotion when using this foundation.  

Where does it goes wrong? No real shades for dark skinned ladies and worse yet (to me): no shades with yellow undertones. From the ones I've seen in my local drugstores, the most I can get is beige. I consider my skintone neutral to yellow so I can deal with that. But a touch more pink and it would have been a disaster.  Right now I use 70-Fresh Beige and it suits me right but I use my NARS Laguna Bronzer and all is good.

Love, love, love how it feels on my skin. I'd recommend it to ladies with dry skin, combo/dry skin, if you love the glowy (not oily) and the 'real skin' look or if you are just looking for anti-aging benefits. My experience is that my skin feels so great after I take this off in the evenings. Oh, if I sweat throught out the day, which happens a lot in my job, this foundation does not gets cakey or travels around my face. It just wears off beatifully and I have to say it last at leats 5-6 hrs in a hot humid day, more if I'm inside my office.

RATING:  4/5 (Great product overall but Neutrogena has to deal with the color selection)

++As always, all pics are 'clickcable'++


It looks more yellow in the bottle right?
But I assure you, the pic is very true to color.

L: (No Flash) Remember gorgeous me without makeup? ;) // R: (With Flash) Just the foundation on my face


With the rest of my makeup on
 


 No flash, bathroom light

******************************

I felt very lucky when I found another drugstore foundation that works for me: L'oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute Makeup SPF 17 (Reg. $13-$15 USD).  Wow, this makes my skin look so...mmm...different--but in a good way! When I took pictures the other day (for this look) I couldn't believe how great my skin looked.  Of course, in real life you get to see more of my flaws but with this product on, I feel my skin looks --sorry, I have to say it-- younger. This foundation is full of silicones so maybe that is why the texture of my skin looks more even?   But L'oreal indicates they added all the following ingredients, great for skin that is not getting any younger with time +sighs+:


I wear 154-Sun Beige and though it looks more beige in the bottle, it is a bit more yellow than the Neutrogena HS in Fresh Beige. This makeup doesn't feels lotion-like as Neutrogenas' but goes on very smooth and has a bit of shimmer (please, it is indeed a very small amount). The skin is left looking with a glow from withing, feeling like velvet and my pores look way smaller! And wow, does it covers beautifully. I'd say it provides medium coverage, medium to full if stippled on the skin.  It does transfer a little, but never like the Maybelline SuperStay Makeup or the MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation.  I just set it with MAC's Prep+Prime Finishing Powder (or the ELF one) and it will behave wonderfully throughout the day.

Cons?  The same as the Neutrogena HS. No yellow undertones and no really dark shades.

I recommend this foundation if you are looking for products that will nourish the skin, make it look radiant, if you have normal to dry skin (or combination like mine); not for ladies with strong yellow undertones or those with oily skin. 

RATING: 4.5/5 (Though it has the same cons as the Neutrogena Foundation, I do feel this one works better on my skin, this foundation delives what it promises and has a pump; BUT please L'oreal, provide some new shades for latina and dark skinned ladies!)







ETA: These next photos were taken after I've been using the foundation for about 5 hrs.  I hadn't refreshed my makeup with Fix+ Spray or powder.

Left: No Flash (sorry for the dark circles, my bathroom light is located on top of the mirror); Right: With Flash

++++++++++++++++
The two foundations, side by side (see? the Neutrogena one looks more yellow in the bottle;
I even had to take pics again, check my settings, the swatches...)


BTW, I like to apply this foundation with my Elf Studio Powder Brush or my Sigma F80 or F82 brushes. The primer I use depend of how I know my day will be --a primer with SPF if I will be out in the sun (MAC Prep+Prime SPF50) or a more moisturizing one if my skin feels dry (Borghese Prima Viso Face Primer).


Well, this is all (uffff!).  Hope you are having a great weekend.


PS. This is what happens when a person is still trying to learn how to use a new DC: I thought I had taken the pic already, went to check it out and FLASH! --Hello boobs--  ;P

^_^



¡Vivan, amen y rían!

Blog Archive