Review: Maybelline Super Stay Makeup 24hr

NAME: Maybelline SuperStay 24HR Makeup
PRICE: $9.99-$10.99 (varies by location)
AVAILABLE SHADES:  12 (check them out here)
DESCRIPTION: Liquid Foundation; Medium buildable coverage; Maybelline claims this foundation "stays comfortable and looks naturally flawless all day; Micro-Flex formula provides 24-hour wear and No Transfer; Withstands heat, sweat and humidity; Oil-free, dermatologist tested, fragrance-free. Suitable for all skin types."

SO?:  I bought two shades back in September '09 I think in one of Walgreens BOGO-free sales. I got #60-Classic Beige and #80-Natural Tan.  Shade #70-Pure Beige was way too pink for me.  I remember that I bought them as soon as I could because I read all those super excellent claims, ladies were raving all about it in the web about how soft and wonderful this was and how long it stayed on the face.  Well, this is what I wrote in Spectra.net back then:

"The texture of this Maybelline Superstay foundation is softer than that of the Colorstay. It feels great when I apply it on my face. It doesn't dry as fast as Colorstay, so I have more time to blend it. I really like the finish, yes, it's more natural than the matte look Colorstays provides. The coverage is medium to full. Again, I love how soft this liquid foundation is.

But I completely agree: the 24hr claim is a lie and it does not stands humidity and heat. In less than 2 hr. this product is "moving" all over my oily t-zone. It does nothing to help control the oil in that area---I have tried this foundation on top of different oil-free primers and alone and it just doesn't work. I hate to see the "patches" of foundation around my nose and forehead the moment I start sweating. I'm sorry but my Colorstay does stays for hours on my skin controlling the oil and looking great.

Not many colors available."

This review was written almost 4 months ago (you can say I gave it time...) and I still feel the same.  I presumed this was supposed to be like Colorstay, even better.  My presumption was wrong.  The main reason I bought it was because it promised to stay on and look fresh for 24hrs (which I know was an exaggeration but I hoped at least 10hrs) and absolutely no-transfer.  What a disappointment.  I mean, I knew all those claims were daring and I was willing to accept them not to be completely true (what company doesn't exaggerate?), but it turned out they are mostly false. 


Honestly, where do they tested it (as they claim)? In Antartica? There's no way this withstands humidity and heat but I guess this could work if you live in a very cool place and have dry skin.  I find it is definitely not for combination/oily skin like mine. In less than 2hrs I have a terribly shiny face and I have to use lots of blotting paper during the time I have it on.

I really didn't care they didn't have my exact shade, I just mix 2 parts of Classic Beige and 1 part of Natural Tan to get my NC 35-37 shade. It has no terrible smell which is great and it provides medium to medium-full coverage.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the finish this foundation provides; one of the best foundation finishes ever for that matter.  Not so matte, not so dewy. And it blends like a dream!  After trying various methods of application, I think my MAC 190 is the best brush for this (next to using my fingers). ETA: I find I get a beautiful result when I apply this foundation with the ELF Studio Powder Brush.



For the first hour or two my skin looks almost flawless! And then... the makeup begins to melt. I have to be careful no to touch my face or shirt or else I will leave a mark (yuck!).  I also have to be careful not to kiss anyone and leave my foundation on their faces or clothes (the horror!).  Oh, the foundation fades away to another dimension during the day, after a few hours I just see traces of it on my face.  

Another important detail is that if  I use it for more than 2 days straight, my skin starts to breakout horribly.  Oh yeah, as always I would prefer a bottle with a pump but there is no point at even taking that into account since many other foundations also doesn't have a pump.  I think if they add a pump, the product would be at least $2 more.

Has to be said: this product just does not compares to Colorstay.

I'm disappointed and I would really love for Maybelline to check this formula again to see how the can improve it.  And deal with the marketing: as a consumer I just feel cheated.  Maybe this product works as advertised in countries with cold weather+low humidity but not in places like the Caribbean and the manufacturer forgot to be specific about that.  =P

If this product worked for you, great! I wish it'd stay on my face for a longer period of time.  Maybe you have some tips for me?

I will still use it, yes: I don't like to throw my money to the trash. But I use it sporadically for short amounts of time, like when I do looks I will post here.  =(

This is me wearing the Super Stay 24hr Makeup in Classic Beige; it looks nice,
just a touch lighter than my skin tone so I add a bit of Natural Tan.
**CLICK to enlarge**

So you may like this if you are looking for a foundation with a nice satin finish and medium to full coverage,  live in a country with cool weather, don't mind to blot after a couple of hours and just use makeup for a few hours.

RATING:  2/5 (for great texture, finish and it blends very well; fails at everything else it claims to do/provide)

**--**I WILL BE POSTING SOON A MINI ARTICLE ABOUT THE VALUES OF MY RATING SYSTEM (nothing too complicated by the way)**--**


'Til next time my friends.

¡Hasta luego amigas y amigos!



¡Vivan, amen y rían!

Blog Archive