Beauty Product of the Week: ColorStay Mineral Lipglaze

What is it? ColorStay Mineral Lipglaze is "Revlon’s first longwearing lip gloss with a unique mineral complex that provides a glossy seal of conditioning color. Just one application of this cushiony formula keeps lips coated with comfortable color for up to 8 hours, with no need for touch-ups. Available in 12 gorgeous, glossy shades." Costs less than $10 and is widely available.

What did you think? Despite the fact that it has the word "colorSTAY" in it's name, I somehow didn't make the connection that this was a long-wearing gloss when I bought it. I think I was focusing more on the "mineral" part and completely spaced out. See? We all get confused in the beauty aisle from time to time!

Anyway...if I had realized that this was a long-wearing gloss, I would have opted for a different shade. However, I was bold and bought a pretty red called Stay Ablaze. (Again, the name should have been a give away! STAY Ablaze, FOREVER Fig, ETERNAL Blossom....wow. Revlon's subtlety was lost on me!)

The gloss goes on really well and it made my lips feel slippery and glossy. That feeling lasted for a long time...and that's when I realized I bought a long-wear. After a few hours of wear, my lips were not as shiny as I would have liked. There is no tube of extra, clear gloss to apply with this product, so I had a matte red mouth for a few hours there. The color didn't budge. It stayed put and did not fade until I finally ate lunch and violently rubbed Stay Ablaze off my lips.

The next time I applied the product, I was a little more savvy since I knew I was dealing with a long-wear. I made sure to gently exfoliate my lips and applied the product carefully. The color and shine looked great for a few hours and then, just like before, the shine and slickness went away and I was left with lackluster red lips.

The final verdict? This color lasts and lasts and lasts. If only Revlon would have somehow included an extra tube of clear gloss for refreshing throughout the day, this would be an almost perfect product. I like the packaging and I like the colors they offer. One of the main reasons why I buy a gloss is for the shine. If my gloss loses that shine and I have no way to replace it, I should just buy a normal old lipstick. This product is soooooo close to being great, but it's just not quite there yet. Damn.

Blog Archive