Ask Lydia: Cream Blush

Hi Lydia,

I've emailed you before and love your advice so here I am once again with a dilemma. I'm currently using NARS Orgasm blush and really enjoy it, but fall means it's time for something new...or at least that's my excuse to buy more makeup!


I love the look girls have when they use a cream blush; however, I can't seem to pull it off. It makes me feel greasy and it looks good in the package but when I apply it to my cheeks, it looks like a completely different color. I was wondering if you had any suggestions.

Thanks so much for your time!


Brooke


Hey there, Brooke!

Thanks for writing me. I so completely agree with you that a new season means buying new makeup (and a few new pieces for the wardrobe, of course!).

When it comes to blush, I am totally old fashioned and just use the powdered stuff. There are so many great powder blush colors to choose from, and I don't think I have the right skin to pull off the cream stuff. According to makeup pros (of which I am not! I'm just an avid user), cream blush will give you a really natural, dewy, rosy glow. It works best on people with smooth skin, so it won't sink into wrinkles, crevices, or fine lines. If you have a few blackheads or blemishes, the creamy texture can emphasize them even more--not good.

To apply cream blush, first apply your foundation. Then put a small dot of cream blush on your cheekbone. Using a makeup sponge or brush, gently spread the blush upwards and outwards in a circular motion to the cheekbone and apple of your cheek. Really spend some time blending--you don't want any weird stripes or streaks going across your face. Finish your look with a little translucent powder to set your blush so that it doesn't slip or feel greasy.

When it comes to picking a color, do a little bit of exercise so you have a natural flush to your skin. Simply match the color of blush to your natural flush. Or, you can just look at the natural color of your lips and try to match up a blush with that shade.

Since cream blushes probably look darker or more color dense in their packaging, the best bet is to try out a little bit on your hand before you make your purchase.

Some cream blushes to try: NARS Cream Blush (8 shades to choose from!), $23 or BECCA Creme Blush (10 colors), $27.

Let me know how you do! Have fun shopping. And for the rest of you, feel free to email me if you need some makeup advice.

Blog Archive