Beauty Product of the Week: Prescriptives Custom Blend Lip Gloss

What is it? As I've mentioned it before Prescriptives will custom blend foundation, powder, and lipgloss just for you. The result is a unique product that matches your skin and is perfect for your look. The lipgloss goes for about $26 at the Prescriptives counter (in Nordstrom's and Sak's) or online at www.prescriptives.com.

What did you think? I was on the search for a classic red gloss. Not the easiest thing to find. My husband was with me at Nordstroms, and watched with a great deal of interest as the girl made my sports-car red gloss. Alchemy, he declared it!

Basically, you tell them what base color you want...in my case, a very red red. Then you get to pick how much color density and shine you want. There are a bunch of different finishes depending on if you want some sparkle, some shine, or more of a matte look (I went with the matte, color dense finish). Next, you get to pick your scent/fragrance. I picked vanilla--they also have bellini, tropical fruit, berry, mint, and several other flavors.

Once everything is custom blended in a giant syringe, it's squirted (for lack of a better word!) into a tube and boom! Off you go with your new color.

The gloss I picked is old fashioned red, very 1940s, with hardly any shimmer. It's more like a liquid lipstick instead of a gloss. It covers well, feels good on my lips, and tastes great. Plus it lasts a good long time, especially for a gloss.

The final verdict? Honestly, this was an indulgence for me. A completely luxurious purchase. But I got a color I love and a product that is truly designed for me. My grandmother used to have all her makeup custom blended, but that was back in the 50s and 60s. To me, this seems like the height of glamour, and I was glad to get my own taste of that with Prescriptives. For $26 I feel that the overall experience and the final product were worth it. If you've had a bad day at work and need to cheer yourself up, go get a custom tube of gloss. It's fun and it will make you feel pretty!

Blog Archive