Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful (aka The Pantene Effect)

This is going to sound totally lame, but I don't care. Here goes: I've thinking a lot lately about shampoo. Why? Well, I'm trying out some high end shampoo for you all and I think I have a problem. I think Pantene has ruined my ability to judge any other shampoo in a "fair and balanced" way.

Here's the deal: Pantene provides an extremely satisfying consumer experience because:
1) it's readily available
2) it's affordable
3) it smells good
4) the shampoo lathers up well
5) the conditioner detangles and smooths hair well
6) it makes hair look good after using it

When I was younger and much poorer, I used Suave products (I still do from time to time!) and Pantene seemed almost like a luxury product. So now, when I try out higher end products, I judge them (rightly or wrongly) against Pantene. Nine times out of ten, Pantene wins out.

I once heard that shampoo really doesn't need to lather to work. While I wouldn't be surprised it that were the case, I personally find that I like the lather...and I don't think I'm alone in that respect. Generally speaking, higher end products don't lather up nicely and they don't always leave my hair as silky smooth as does Pantene.

I'm sure if I asked my hair stylist, she'd give me grief for using Pantene on my hair. I'm sure it's probably too harsh and too full of yucky stuff. But still...I honestly think that Pantene has ruined me when I try to compare products.

What do you think? Are you a Pantene fan or do you like higher end products?

Blog Archive