Review: Revlon Double Twist Mascara


DESCRIPTION: "New Revlon DoubleTwist Volumizing Mascara with a revolutionary brush that combines traditional bristles with innovative defining bristles for luscious volume and remarkable definition; Opthalmalogist-tested; safe for contact lens wearers and sensitive eyes"

MY EXPERIENCE WITH IT: I don't usually like to trash products, I like to remain objective and kinda professional... but there is always a product that it's so bad that I simply have no choice. Revlon, you know I love most of your products...Colorstay Makeup, Eyeshadows, L/S, L/G, Powders. But..WTH happened here? Am I doing something wrong when using this product? I should have known better, the 3D Mascara was also horrible. I have concluded manufacturing mascara is not your thing.

Okay, I bought this mascara on Walgreens the other day on sale for $6.99. What caught my eyes was the brush. I love big brushes and the DoubleTwist one looked like it would grab your lashes to apply the product evenly and then define them with the plastic red bristles. (Yep, just like the description). Not happening!

But let's talk about the mascara tube first. The first thing I noticed was that, although the tube had a wide opening, when I inserted the wand into the tube it made this funny clicking noise caused by the friction of the brush with a small hole in the inner lining (sp?)(I hope I am using the correct terms here people). That small hole causes that when you insert the brush in the tube again, all unused product will remain at the top of the tube...this is where all the messiness begins. It is impossible to NOT get too much product on the brush every time you pull it off the tube.


I have concluded that the idea is to provide a huge amount to mascara every time you are going to use it. Honestly, something tells me a man with no experience in makeup designed this for Revlon (if it was a lady, wow, she has to be one of those that love the "super-fake-looking/extra-heavy-can't-almost-open-my-eyes" lashes). This is just a huge waste of product.

Now, onto the brush. I don't think the brush is THAT bad, but with so much product to apply, it just doesn't grab a single lash. I tried the twisting motion (the name of the mascara is DoubleTwist after all) but it doesn't do anything! It just places the mascara on the lashes, just that.

To be fair, the brush looks super cool

One of my fave mascaras in the whole world is MAC Plushlash Mascara. If you have used it, you know that two sides of the brush have short bristles, almost flat (to apply the product on lashes) and the other two sides provide regular full bristles for a beautiful, defined and even distribution. You do have to twist the brush and I love the results. Come to think of it, I will have to make a review on that one, really good! Anyway, the double twisting motion does not work for me with this Revlon mascara.

About the mascara formula per se, it is just terrible. This mascara made my lashes hard, almost flat---and my lashes have a natural curl! GRRRR! I first applied this product on one eye and knew it was horrible and took it off right away. But to really test the formula, I applied it on both eyes and used it for a couple of hours under a beautiful sunny and humid day. Yep ladies, it flakes horribly.

This is what I got when I pull the mascara out of the tube
for the second time

I also wanted to mentioned that another reason I bought this mascara was because I thought it could replace my CG LashBlast mascara (original one, not the waterproof...uff!) with such a big brush. But NO WAY!! Funny, I know many people hate LashBlast because is too big or yucky, I just love it and think the original formula is great.

Now I am wondering if I could try the DoubleTwist brush (after cleaning it of course) with other mascaras to see how it works... HMMM... New experiment for me!).

Compared to LashBlast


I personally wouldn't recommend this product to anyone and I'm pretty sure I will never buy Revlon mascaras again, it is just not their forte.

PRICE: $8.99 (Reg. price)

RATING: 0/5 (First time I give a product a 0 rating--for me it means
"nothing good about it as-is")

Mascara applied with a very light hand
(Yes, after it dried some of it went right into my eye!)

I obtained this more decent looking lashes after combing them
with my Tweezerman ILash Comb and the MAC 205 brush
MANY times to take off the clumping


I made this small video as a complement to this review,
check out the funny noise:




I found this other review on CLUMPS OF MASCARA blog. She has more cool pics.

So, what do you think about it? Have you tried it? For real, tell me if I am missing something here, because I just don't get this product.

Until next time my beauties!


¡Vivan, amen y rĂ­an!
(Live, love & laugh!)

Blog Archive