Beauty Product of the Week: Skin Brightening Cleanser

What is it? Boots Botanics Skin Brightening Cleanser is a "cleanser for more radiant skin. Cleansing your face daily is the perfect opportunity to encourage cell renewal for a brighter complexion. This gentle cream not only melts away daily grime and makeup, it also helps reveal soft, radiant and healthy looking skin." Available at Target for about $7 (or less!).

What did you think? I bought this product because I was out of Purity Made Simple (from Philosophy) and needed a face wash. Since I normally really like Boots products and because I was already at Target, I picked up this cleanser.

Big mistake.

First off, I didn't use it correctly. I used it like I would a normal face wash. That is, I wet my face, pumped some product into my hand and rubbed it into my skin. I washed it off and was done. Then I read the back and learned I was supposed to "sweep (the product) over face and neck...using cotton wool. Wipe off gently." What? What the hell does that mean?

I like my skin cleanser to feel good on my skin...to gently remove dirt and makeup in a way that feels good. This did not feel good, not even when I used it correctly. And I don't think the cleanser did that good of a job cleaning. Or brightening. It was just blah all the way around.

The final verdict? Sometimes, being cheap ends up costing you more. And that's exactly what's happened here. I didn't feel like forking over the big bucks for my favorite face wash, and I went with this clunker instead. Now I have a product I'm not happy with and I still need to go out and get my Purity Made Simple. Grrr!

Blog Archive