Beauty Product of the Week: Lip Shimmer

What is it? Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer is described as, "A kiss of color and pearlized shine perk up our world famous 100% natural lip balm, while natural ingredients like vitamin E and coconut and sunflower oils moisturize and soothe your lips. Choose from 11 yummy, all natural shades: Champagne, Raisin, Merlot, Rhubarb, Watermelon, Nutmeg, Fig, Cocoa, Toffee, Guava and Papaya." Get it from drugstore.com or other drugstores for about $5.00 a tube.

What did you think? Lip Shimmer should be a perfect product. Burt's Bees regular old lip balm is both ubiquitous and cult-worthy. Everyone has at least one tube at their ready, and for good reason: it makes lips feel protected and refreshed thanks to the hint of mint. I adore tinted lip balms because it's a great multi-tasker...it provides color and protection and goes on fast. It's not fussy--which I appreciate.

For some reason, though, I don't LOVE love Lip Shimmer. I'm not exactly sure why. When it goes on it feels a little thick. The color is a bit too shimmery/metallic-y. The tube is a weird size--it's much smaller than that normal Burt's Bees, and I find my tube gets gunked up easily.

Final verdict? Sadly, I think there are better tinted lip balms on the market. I really like Burt's Bees product as a rule, but I think their Lip Shimmer is only so-so. If you're brand loyal, give it a try. If not, go pick up a tube of Alba Terra Tints instead!

Blog Archive