Lower Lash Mascara...really?

PLEASE NOTE: I don't consider this article a review of Tarte Bottoms Up Mascara because I do not own this product. It is more like **here-are-the-facts-you-be-the-judge** article.

Okay, so the other day I saw this at the Sephora website:

Tarte Bottoms Up--Lower Lash Mascara





As per Sephora and Tarte Cosmetics Websites:

What it is: A mascara specifically designed to precisely coat each and every bottom lash.
What it does: Tarte Bottoms Up™ - Lower Lash Mascara has a flake-free, water-resistant formula with a precision tapered brush that allows you to target the tiniest of lashes and wide-set bristles that separate and evenly coat. The ergonomic component ensures easy application for perfectly defined bottom lashes.

Special "Skinvigorating" ingredients:
-Carnauba wax: emollient derived from the leaves of the carnauba palm this natural wax ensures a smooth application
-Mineral pigments: colors and dyes derived from natural minerals have been know to soothe and soften the skin
-Provitamin B5: vitamin B derivative that treats and thickens lashes
-Olive esters: conditions, treats and protects lashes

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens- Mineral Oils
- Phthalates- Sulfates
- Propylene Glycols- Butylene glycols
- Synthetic Fragrances- Synthetic Dyes

PRICE: $16.00

The packaging looks cute and the mascara provides many "natural" ingredients to moisturize and protect lashes, as some other Tarte mascaras (for me this is a big plus). The really small brush should help with a precise application without ruining your under-eye area makeup. It's water-proof, so there should be no problem with it smudging when it gets hot.

Since I don't have this mascara, I did some research on the net, forums and blogs. Some wonderful fellow bloggers have great pics: MakeupandBeautyblog.com and BeautyJunkiesUnite.com. It seems that many people love the easy application and staying power, but others just think it is an unnecessary step on the makeup routine. I have also read people saying it does smudge on really hot & humid environments.

That said, I'm not sure I would buy it. I get the idea: a really small brush that helps to evenly apply the mascara even on the smallest lashes. I consider there are other (cheaper) alternatives that can help you with that task. Spoolie brushes tinted with mascara, Tweezerman Mascara Protector, even holding a piece of paper under your lashes while applying mascara. AND I think there is a good alternative for this mascara: Maybelline Lash Discovery Mini-Brush Mascara.

I bought this mascara some months ago at Walgreens on one of those BOGO-Free sales, so I payed like $3.75 for it (Reg. USD $7.49). Maybelline offers a washable version too, I just prefer w/p because the humidity here is terrible. This is used to separate and lengthen lashes, while the small brush also helps you grab the smallest lashes--heard that b4?. I tell you, this really last. I don't use it everyday because I don't do my lower lashes much. But is a decent product. I would rate this a 4/5.

The main difference with Tarte's mascara, you ask? The ingredients. Maybelline's has parabens, Tarte's don't; Tarte's have lot of "good for your skin" ingredients, Maybelline's don't; Tarte B0ttoms Up Mascara is Eco-Friendly, Lash Discovery...come on, lol.
Maybelline's Lash Discovery is just your regular everyday waterproof mascara. That's what you are paying for.

I will leave you with some pics of Lash Discovery. Now you be the judge. I don't know, if I have $16+tax to spare, maybe someday I'll try the Bottoms-Up mascara. Though I am sure I will always find an excuse to use those $16 for other things, hehe...







1. Maybelline Full-n-Soft Mascara 2. Maybelline Lash Discovery Mascara
3. Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara 4. MAC Plushlash Mascara





Lash Discovery all over my lashes








My makeup:

Face
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Cream Foundation in Nude mixed with MAC Face&Body Foundation in C6
MAC blushes in "Nuance" with "Peaches" on top
Laura Mercier Stardust Loose Powder as highlighter on cheeks
MAC Loose Blot Powder -- Medium Dark

Eyes
MAC Paintpots in Soft Ochre and Rubenesque
Maybelline Lash Discovery W/P Mascara in Black
MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud

Lips

Carmex Lip Balm
Revlon Super Lustrous L/S in "Peach me"
L'oréal Color Juice Sheer Juice L/G in "Melon Puch"



Hope you find this article helpful.

TTYL!


¡Vivan, amen y rían!
(Live, love & laugh!)

Blog Archive