My Three Sunblocks

If you've read my blog for any length of time, you no doubt know that I am not a sun worshiper. Hell, when it comes to the sun and my skin tone, I am downright vampiric! I am extremely fair skinned, have blonde hair and blue eyes...add to that an irrational fear of skin cancer, and you'll understand why I don't go running out to tanning beds. And why I am, most likely, Vitamin D deficient.

Anyway...being a heliophobe (the Lydia term for a super pale goth girl), I wear sunblock every day of my life. I thought I'd share my favorite sunblocks that I've been using this summer.

Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15: $11.00 (approx); available at drugstores
Why I like it: This provides sun coverage and moisturizing all in one cream. It is a bit thick, but it goes on easily. Plus it has almost no scent so it won't interfere with perfumes or other fragrances. I put it on when I get out of the shower and can breath a bit easier knowing that I have at least some protection for the day.
What I'd change: Not much--maybe just increase the SPF to 30 or higher.
Best for: Limited sun exposure; everyday use (don't use on your face--it's too greasy!)

MD Skincare Powerful Protection SPF 30 Sunscreen Pads: $42; available at Sephora and department stores
Why I like it: These are so convenient and are a snap to use. They're like moist towelettes that provide a nice layer of sun protection. They're so simple to use I can even get my hubby to use them without too much complaint.
What I'd change: The price. Convenience never comes cheap.
Best for: Stashing in your bag for use when you didn't expect to be in the sun.

Skin Effects by Dr. Jeffery Dover Sun Effects SPF 45 Active Sunscreen Continuous Spray: $12.99; available at CVS
Why I like it: It sprays on quickly, providing coverage without getting your hands all gunked up with lotion. It smells good and feels cool on the skin...a nice bonus in the summer!
What I'd change: I'd cut down the drying time just a bit, but it's so easy to use that I'll forgive it.
Best for: A day at the beach! I used this on my recent vacation and maintained my ultra-white complexion.

No matter what you use, be sure to use an SPF product daily. The sun does all sorts of wonderful things, but I, for one, am paranoid about a potential burn.

Blog Archive