Review: MAC Sonic Chic - Nuance & Pleasantry

I recently gave in and bought two mineralize blushes from the Sonic Chic Collection: Nuance and Pleasantry. Gorgeous colors both of them.

I am curious about mineral makeup (MMU). My first experience with MMU was terrible, but I know now not all of them are equal. So I decided to start again by buying just mineralize blush.

Product Name: MAC Sonic Chic Collection Mineralize Blush
Shades: Nuance and Pleasantry
Price: $21.00 USD each
Description: The mineralize blushes are "baked minerals refined into a powder formula to provide exceptionally sheer and lightweight application. Colour builds lightly, layer after layer, without heavy coverage. Veils and enhances the cheekbones with a luminous, pearlized shimmer" (as stated in the MAC Website). Nuance is described as "mid tone peach with gold pearl", while Pleasantry is an "intense mid tone blue pink with gold pearl".

When I first saw swatches from Pleasantry, I knew I wanted it right away, simply because I needed a "blue pink" blush and it looked cute! I was a bit afraid of buying Nuance, since I had Eversun and for some reason they looked similar in some swatches. I'm glad I was wrong (thanks to Lala-Dominichulinda in YouTube for the swatches!), it is amazing.

This blush goes on very lightly and shimmery and, as the description says, you can build the color layer after layer. I am absolutely IN LOVE with both colors. I only got Pleasantry and Nuance because I felt the other colors where variations of them, except Love Joy or Merrily.

Overall, I like them, but (yes there's one...) I don't think I will buy other shades (I was really interested in Love Joy). Why? Well, one really need a buffer brush to apply them (Duh! -- MMU newbie here, LOL). I have to use my Sephora #44 Bronzer Brush (excellent one, funny --I've rarely use it to apply bronzer O__O). If I use other brush, like the 129, it gets kinda messy, the product will not adhere well and it will fade away really fast. I guess that's part of all the "mineral makeup" thing, but I don't like it. I do buff loose powder under my liquid foundation, but just that. Also, this blush make my skin itchy -- though it doesn't bother me much, but I'm not gonna spend another $21 on products that makes my face itch.

So my biggest issue with this product is that all that buffing adds more minutes to my face routine and I don't want that in the mornings! I guess if I knew more about MMU I probably wouldn't have bought them...oh hell, who am I kidding? But yeah, maybe I would have looked for similar shades in the regular blushes.

I'm sure those of you that are into MMU find that this is a really good blush. Again, the trick is to use a buffer brush to blend the color (perhaps like the new MAC 181).

So, my rating would be...

Rating: 4/5 (what can I say, when well applied, these blushes looks amazing!)

Pics:

**Click on them to see bigger pics**


Pleasantry (left) and Nuance:


Nuance (left) and Pleasantry, fluorescent lighting, no flash:


Pleasantry, fluorescent lighting, no flash:


Nuance, fluorescent lighting, no flash:


Nuance, fluorescent lighting, with flash:


Pleasantry, fluorescent lighting, with flash:



Some swatches on my NC 40 skin (not so good, still learning how to do them):
All photos were taken under fluorescent lighting, no flash

Pleasantry and Nuance:


Nuance (left) and Eversun:


Fluorescent lighting, with flash:


Comparison with other shades, fluorescent lighting, with flash:



Hope you find this review helpful. Later!



Vivan, RĂ­an y Amen!
(Live, Love and Laugh!)

Blog Archive