What Is It and Why Do I Need It: Mascara Base

What is it? Mascara primer or mascara base is basically a white mascara. It is applied to the lashes before regular mascara is used. Mascara primers coat the lashes and separate them, making the final application more exact. Mascara primer creates a layer between the makeup and your lashes which means your mascara will go on more evenly. Beauty experts also say that mascara primer will result in fuller, longer lashes.

Do I need it? Even though I am a makeup loving gal, I personally don't think primers are necessary. I have used several different products on different occasions, and I didn't notice a dramatic difference in my lashes. To me, primers just add an extra step to my makeup routine.

If I have extra time to spend on my look, or if I am getting ready for a fancy event, I sometimes use primer. But like I said, to me it just adds a step.

Instead of heading out to buy a primer, try some of these tricks to get full, long, beautiful lashes:
  • Use an eyelash curler. Learn to use this somewhat scary looking contraption. It really makes a difference and provides a great amount of curl. Better yet, lightly heat up your curler with your hair dryer (be careful that the curler isn't too hot otherwise you may burn your lashes!). Use your curler before you apply mascara.
  • Apply mascara correctly. Wiggle the wand at the base of your lashes and then zig-zag the wand up your lashes. If you want/need a second coat of mascara, be sure to apply it before your first coat dries.
  • Don't blink! Wait at least 5 seconds or so before you blink your eyes, otherwise you may get little mascara dots on your lids.
  • Use a lash comb. Search for a metal-toothed lash comb. Carefully comb any clumps out of your lashes to separate them.
  • Don't pump the wand in the mascara tube! All this does is add air to the mascara which makes it dry out.
I love mascara and try out new brands often...for the sake of the blog, of course! Try one of my favorite: Drugstore brand: Great Lash by Maybelline; Premium brand: Lotsa Lash by Lorac.

Blog Archive