Blunt Bangs for Spring 09

I never know what to do with my hair! When I go to a salon, it usually goes like this:

STYLIST: What would you like to have done today?
ME: Oh, I don't know. I guess just make it blonder and trim it.
STYLIST: Do you want to add layers or change your part?
ME: Sure...whatever...I don't know. As long as my new style is easy to maintain...

See? That's pathetic and hopeless. And I know I am not alone when it comes to hair confusion/fear in the stylist's chair.

Well, I'm finally here to help you and myself. Nicholas Penna, Jr. of SalonCapri outside of Boston is predicting that blunt bangs are going to be hot this spring...and he was good enough to share some tips on how to get this look the next time you go to the salon.

Nicholas Penna, Jr. of SalonCapri:

1. What is the hot style for Spring?
Blunt bangs are the hot style for spring because they add edge to hair. For a long time, soft hair was the trend and now there’s a change with some attitude. Celebrities such as Kate Hudson in the new movie Bride Wars and Erin Lucas from MTV’s newest reality endeavor, The City, are both sporting blunt bangs which makes it even hotter.

2. What hair type does this style work best on?
Blunt bangs typically look best with straight hair that is cut all at one length. However, we've recently seen stars like Kim Kardashian wearing her blunt bangs with wavy hair creating a contrast between the hip, edgy bang with romantic, tousled hair. Another variation to the blunt bang is to incorporate angles that frame your face, such as Anne Hathaway’s haircut.

3. What face shape do these bangs look best on?
Blunt bangs work well for everyone, if done right. Many times, younger people can pull off the style the best, but virtually anyone can sport this look. The best face shape for blunt bangs is a longer, oval-shaped face.

4. What are some other great bang choices for girls who do not have the appropriate hair texture/face shape?
Longer bangs that can be pushed to the side of the face add movement to the hairstyle, such as the side swept bang. This type of bang is the most universally worn and can look great on many different face shapes/hair textures.

5. Additional tips...
Blunt bangs add to style to your look, even when your hair is pulled back into a ponytail. You can just blow out your bangs and throw your hair back. It adds an egde to your look and gives you a change that's not as drastic as a shorter haircut.

I think that this style is definitely going to last well into this season. It is a faddy look, but I think it’s one that will stand the test of time. As it evolves, I imagine people will start to wear the bang in different ways, more tailored to their personality.

There you have it! One great idea for a new Spring 'do!

Blog Archive