Do you use toner?

I use toner. I love to use toner. It's a very important part of my skincare routine. Some experts say it isn't necessary. Well, for me it is, specially because I use liquid and cream foundations and toner removes the very last trace of dirt/makeup.

With so many products out there, choosing one specific toner can be confusing (as with many other products---ahh, you gotta love skincare/cosmetics companies and their advertising techniques). My main suggestion? When somebody ask me about toner all I said is "Alcohol Free!", no matter your skin type. I have combination/oily sensitive skin (t-zone is extremely oily) and up until some years ago I used toners for "oily" skin that contained alcohol. I always ended with a very red nose, forehead and cheeks. BUT I thought that was supposed to be like that...yeah, I know...

When I took makeup seriously about a year and a half ago, I updated my skin care routine because I was worried makeup would "damage" my skin (that is funny, because now my face feels better than ever!). So I did my homework and after reading great reviews and watching videos and all that, I decided to use Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner.

Wow, that is good stuff. Well, was good stuff. Nivea discontinued the VISAGE line last year (in the US and PR at least--they added a note about that on their website).

I was so glad I found a drugstore product that had such great quality. It was also super cheap--about $5 USD for about 7 oz. This toner received great reviews in sites like Makeupalley.com and it really deserved the gained reputation. SO, SO, SO Moisturizing. And I don't mean it left a greasy residue, no no. It simply left my face clean and soft. Not only did I use it to finish cleaning my face, but I also sprayed it on my face after doing my makeup or whenever I needed to feel refreshed. Nivea has a line of face-care products in other countries, I hope they bring it here soon.

Right now I am using the one by Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner.

You can get an 8.5 oz bottle for about $8 USD wherever Neutrogena Skincare products are sold. Sadly for me, after using Nivea's toner for a long time, I did notice that this toner is not as moisturizing. It's an okay toner, plus Neutrogena doesn't claims it is moisturizing. They just say "it won't strip your skin of its natural moisturizers". It is a nice product and does the job by leaving your face simply clean.

What I do now is that I spray my MAC FIX+ after using the toner and doing my makeup (but remember, FIX+ is $17 USD for 3.4 oz! --but yeah, it feels so good...) I still want to change to another toner. I have read that Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hibiscus Facial Toner is also very moisturizing, I think I will give it a try if I find it here in PR or trusting websites *cross my fingers** . If that doesn't work, well, I will have to head to beauty counters at Dept. Stores...ouch.

Yeah, yeah, I am so cheap sometimes. You know me, I am always looking for a good drugstore deal.

'Til next time.


¡Vivan, amen y rĂ­an!
(Live, Love & Laugh!)

Blog Archive