Review: Maybelline Pure Makeup Foundation

I was looking for a really light foundation to even out my skin tone, maybe hide some imperfections, something I could apply fast and then go out and pick up the kids from school. As much as I love my Revlon ColorStay, I just don't like to use it everyday. I read some nice reviews about this Maybelline product and decided to give it a try.


Description: Maybelline Pure Makeup ($6-7 USD) is a "shine-free foundation with H2O is formulated with 50% water instead of pore-clogging oils that can cause breakouts" (Maybelline.com). This foundation come in 12 shades, from light to dark skin tones. It is found at most convenience stores/drugstores.

What I like: This feels so good when applied to the skin, very refreshing, which is a very rare word to describe a foundation. It provides a light to medium matte coverage, which was surprising to me and the consistency is creamy, not liquid. I thought with all that "H2O" it was gonna be more like a tinted moisturizer. It covered pretty decently (not completely) my freckles and the dark spots on my face, which made me happy. It dries fast, so I found it was better to apply this with my fingers (I love that, makes it feel more natural).

I got this in medium beige, which turned out nice for my medium tanned-olive skin. It has a touch of pink, but less than the honey beige shade (funny, I have used other Maybelline foundations in Honey Beige). I like that I haven't breakout from it. The packaging is really nice, I like when products comes in tubes more than pumps.

What I didn't like: As I mentioned in MUA, for me this foundation belongs to my use-for-only-a-few-hours stack, because frankly, it doesn't last more than 3-4 hours on me. Even if I used a good primer first (and I have tried different types of primers). This may be oil-free and water based, but really does not helps with my oily t-zone (though I know it doesn't claim to control oil, I thought it would help). I have used MAC blot powder and other loose powders on top of it to no avail. I guess I am accustomed to my Colorstay, which maintains oils in my face at bay. This Pure Makeup transferred badly into clothes and worse of all, after 4 hours it settled into my pores.

Another thing is that I noticed more colors are for ladies with cool/pink undertones.

Also, if you are concerned with parabens, I read on CosmeticsDataBase.com that this foundation has many types of this chemical, so you may want to consider if you want to add another product on your skincare/makeup routine that has them.

So... : Although at first it feels really good, I think I'm gonna use what's left of it and continue to look for a light foundation, or as I do many times, just add a touch of moisturizer to my Revlon Colorstay foundation. It's just that sometimes don't want to be mixing stuff, lol. The cons are way too much for me. It's a shame, I like how the color looks on my skin. =/

If you have dry or normal skin, this product could work for you (be sure to moisturize first). I have oily/combo skin and live in a humid environment, so that may be some of the reasons this foundation is not working so much on me.
Rating: 3/5






No Flash Pic
(This was taken b4 my hair disaster last week)
;
I just have the foundation and some l/s,
nothing else


W/ Flash



¡Vivan, amen y rĂ­an!
(Live, love & laugh!)

Blog Archive