Review: Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation

Months ago I posted a first look to the EL's Double Wear Foundation.  The time has come for a proper review.  Again, my reviews are based on personal experience. Each individual is different. May I remind you I have combination-oily skin, some redness and dark spots on my cheeks, nose and forehead.  In "MAC terms" I would be between NC 35 to NC 40 (depends on the time of year and product).

***REMEMBER TO CLICK ON ALL PICS FOR ENLAGED VERSIONS***


NAME:  Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup
DESCRIPTION:  As per Estee Lauder's website: "15-hour staying power. Flawless all day. This worry-free, long-wearing makeup stays fresh and looks natural through heat, humidity, nonstop activity. Won't change color, smudge or come off on clothes.  Feels lightweight and comfortable. Now the flawless look you see in the morning is the look you keep all day." It is oil-free, dermatologist-tested, non-acnegenic and fragrance-free. 20 available shades in Cool, Neutral and Warm undertones. 
SHADE I BOUGHT: 3W1 -- Tawny
PRICE: USD $33.50 + tax for 1 fl. oz.
SO??:  Okay, this is easy.  DW foundation simply complies with every claim made by EL. The only one I wouldn't be 100% sure is the 15 hr staying power, but only because I haven't used it for that long. I can say I have used it for 8-10 hrs and it does stay put, looks great and very important: it does not transfer to my clothes, ruining them. I just need to blot once when using this, maybe 4-5 hrs after applying it, which I think is great.  It doesn't make my face itch when I sweat and there is no terrible smell.  

If you like or need full coverage foundation, this is an excellent option.  Many people have compared it with the Revlon Colorstay Makeup and I do have to say, they are pretty similar.  The Colorstay does have some kind of chemical smell (though it disappears a few seconds after applying it) and I do feel it dries just a bit faster than the Double Wear foundation, but once both foundations are set, they will not move or smudge or whatever.  I've read some reviews about DW feeling like a "mask" and right away I know the cause is too much product was applied.  You just need a small amount of this foundation to get decent coverage.  Contrary to Colorstay, which I totally prefer to apply with my MAC187, I prefer to apply the DW foundation with the MAC 190 and then use the 187 in those areas I need more coverage (my cheeks).  But this is totally personal preference, it's what works for me.  

They provide a good range of shades, but I do feel Tawny is a bit dark & yellow for me now.  I am mixing it with the sample I got from the 3N1 shade and it is okay. I have also mixed it with the cooler Colorstay shades I have (like true beige) and get a great match.



This foundation comes in a rectangular, frosted crystal bottle with no pump (huge disappointment, for the price of it they should add one). As I have mentioned b4, the MAC foundation pumps fit perfectly in this bottle.  


The difference in price between the two foundations is considerable, since you can get Colorstay for about $11-12 or less if you get it on one of those BOGO-free sales.  Would I buy Double Wear again?  Honest to God, IDK right now. I will finish my Colorstay foundation bottles first and if I have the cash, maybe.  But really, there is not a huge difference between the two foundations that would make me go running to the DW.

That said, yes: the Double Wear foundation is an excellent product.  I recommend going to your nearest EL counter to get your perfect match.  If you can't go to a counter, you can always chat with a beauty expert at the Estee Lauder website.  If you don't like the foundation, you can always return it. I can't say the same thing about the Colorstay, because I already asked at my local drugstore and they don't allow that kind of returns.  =(  Booo!

RATING: 4.5/5 (Add a frickin pump to it, EL people!)


ETA:  Added two more pics--foundation swatches.

ETA 2:  Forgot to mention, I've read comments of people complaining this foundation is hard to take off.  I recommend using an oil-based makeup remover. I use MAC's Cleanse-Off Oil, then a soft face cleanser (double cleansing method).


¡Vivan, amen y rían!

Blog Archive