Eyeshadow bases: White

You may already know how using different eyeshadow bases can change the look of your eyeshadow or even help it stay longer on your lids without fading.  A base "grabs" the shadow, making it to show more and look more pigmented.  The color and texture of the base do change how the e/s color shows.

Most of the time I use eyeshadow primers (mostly UDPP, TFSI or MAC Paint Pots) combined with different bases because my eyelids are very oily.  Combining that with the sweat/humidity factor in the air, my eyeshadow would crease or disappear in less than an hour if I didn't use primer and/or base.

I use shimmery bases for frosty or satin finish e/s; more matte bases like Paint Pots or matte primers (like MAC Prep+Primer for eyes) for matte looks of course or to simply tone down a very frosty eyeshadow, to make it less shimmery.  Many times I try to match the base with the e/s but black bases are amazing at making most colors pop!  Also, they are great for smoky eyes look.

TIP: If you want to give "life" to a boring matte eyeshadow, try applying it over a shimmery base. 

For lighter eyeshadows or really great matte looks, I also use a white base over my eye primer.  I've experimented with quite a few, but the ones I like the most (and are really affordable!) are Max Factor Erace Concealer in White and NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk.  They are really amazing.

**REMEMBER TO CLICK ON ALL IMAGES FOR ENLARGE VERSIONS**

 

Max Factor Erace Concealer in White (less than $5 USD) is a creamy concealer and yes, it is white, plain as that.  I've never used it as a concealer, though I have seen videos in YouTube about it (check out this video by vietxpinay).  These concealers are quite good, have decent pigmentation. I do recommend to warm them up a little (I use the back of my hand) and then apply it to the eye area so you don't tug or do harm that delicate area.  I found this concealer at Walmart (I got it on sale, maybe because I've read Max Factor isn't gonna be sold on the US anymore) but you can still find it online.

NYX Jumbo Pencils (Reg. $3.50 USD) are simply excellent.  Milk is a super white shade,  creamier than the Max Factor Concealer.  You have to be careful not to apply much or it will cake in the blink of an eye.  Just add a bit at a time.  I find there is no need to warm up the product prior application. Very soft texture. I bought my Milk pencil for a cheaper price at CherryCulture.com ($3.00). You can also find them in the NYX website or local stores.  In Puerto Rico, I've only seen the NYX products at the / Aquí en P.R. sólo he encontrado los productos NYX en los siguientes lugares: Fragrance Outlet Stores in the Outlet Route 66 Mall in Canóvanas or the Prime Outlets of PR in Barceloneta.


NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil "Milk"


Max Factor Erace Concealer "White"



The next example shows you what I'm talking about. I normally use MAC's Warm Chill E/S (Frost--LE) as a highlighter because it really doesn't show much on my eyelids.  It is a minty green shade with a gold undertone. Over a white base, you can see how pretty this color is.







Both bases work great under this color, I just prefer the NYX pencil because it is creamier.

 NYX "Milk"


Max Factor Erace -- "White"



So you see how cool is this?  And the colors lasts for hours over my eyelids.  I did this look a few weeks ago just after applying this bases.



NOTE: I have tried other bases like MAC CCB in Luna or white eyeliner (kohl). I don't like the results with the Luna CCB and frankly I consider using a white eyeliner as a base is a waste of product.  Ultimately, it depends on what works for you. This article is about the advantage of using a white eyeshadow base.


Bueno, hasta luego!



¡Vivan, amen y rían!

Blog Archive