Summer Sizzle

I live in the beautiful, normally comfortable climate of the Pacific Northwest. We are known for rain and moderate weather conditions, unlike other places I have lived (growing up near Baltimore, I fully understand the dread that comes when Marty Bass says it's going to be hazy, hot, and humid). I've lived out here for 10 years now, and in that time I have become a Weather Wimp. I hate snow and detest heat. I like the sky overcast and the highs in the mid-50s, thank you very much.

Right now, however, the poor Pacific Northwest is in the middle of a kick-ass heat wave. For the next several days, it's going to be in the upper 90s. That wouldn't be too awful for me, a Baltimore girl, if air conditioning were the norm. It's not. And I'm dying.

Apart from feeling hot, tired, and a little bitchier than normal, I'm also dealing with makeup that wants to melt right off my face and frizzy-ass hair thanks to the damned humidity. If you live in a hot climate, you know what I'm going through.

So...to help us all get through the evil heat, here are some top tips for keeping your makeup looking cool during the hot, hot summers:
  • Go easy on the products. In the heat, you sweat. When you cake on the makeup AND sweat, you're going to end up clogging your pores which will, of course, lead to breakouts. Sexy. So when it comes to dolling yourself up, stick to the essentials and forgo the extras. The more you put on, the more will just end up dripping off, after all!
  • Try a primer. Foundation primers smooth out your skin's surface and will help your foundation last a little longer. Some primers can also help cut down your shine factor, giving you a more velvety, matte appearance. Eye primers will make your eye shadows last longer and will help you avoid dreaded creasing.
  • Whenever you can, go waterproof. Waterproof mascaras and eyeliners won't smudge throughout the stinky hot days of summer like their normal counterparts. Yes, you'll need to use a little more elbow grease when you take the stuff off at the end of the day, but really...it's a small price to pay to not end up with raccoon eyes. Unless, of course, rabid raccoon is the look you're going for.
  • Ditch the heavy lipsticks and opt instead for a gloss. Better yet, make it a gloss with a little SPF in it. I would also advise against a long-wearing product since they tend to dry your lips out and make your mouth feel icky. Try a gloss that has mint in it for a nice burst of refreshing flavor.
  • Knock our your shine. If you're like me, your face is going to be glistening at the end of a hot day, and not in a goods way. You can help control shine with blotting papers, by using foundation primers, touching up with pressed powder, and by using oil control face washes.
  • Don't forget the two essentials: SPF and hydration. In the blazing sun, you need to keep your skin safe. Whenever you can, try to sneak in some SPF with your moisturizer, foundation, etc. And don't forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day. I know, I know...I'm nagging like your mother. Good. She's right.
So there you have it. Did I miss anything? If so, let me know--leave a comment. Otherwise: stay cool! And remember, only 40+ days until Labor Day...the unofficial end of summer. Hang in there!

Blog Archive