Recession-ista!

The infamous September issues of all the fashion magazines are hitting newsstands. I'm just now beginning the formidable task of pouring over what seems like thousands of pages of ads and only dozens of pages of actual content. I love the September issues. I love the promise of Fall Fashion--darker colors, richer fabrics. And I love thinking about new makeup collections and products.

But, of course, this year's September issues are a little bit different. Advertisers aren't paying as much or buying as many ads as in years past. As a result, the September issues are a bit thinner than we're all used to, and you'll notice many articles talking about getting the most for your money.

Why? Well...it's the recession, of course!

I keep hearing that the economy is turning around, and for that I'm grateful. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick of hearing about how bad the economy is, how it's affecting every sector imaginable.

Here's what I've noticed in my own world:
  • I hardly bought any new clothing for the summer. I think I bought a couple of t-shirts, but apart from that, I wore everything from last year. And I've been dressing much more casually so far this year.
  • My makeup spending remains insane, but that's because I'm a beauty blogger. However, I have noticed that I've been gravitating towards products that are not as expensive. And I think about prices more than I'd like, but probably still a little less than I should.
  • Over the summer I've been indulging in a pedicure every 6 weeks or so. My finger nails remain undone, and I've been doing my own hair removal, so I can avoid paying for waxing. I also try to stretch out the time between hair appointments, but being platinum blonde demands plenty of upkeep.
  • I'm craving a little bit of luxury, and try to get it where I can. If I am buying a less pricey lipstick, I want that lipstick in a deep, indulgent shade. If I'm looking for a body wash, I want one that smells good or offers up some sort of skin benefit apart from cleanliness.
Like I said, I am really looking forward to cooler weather, fall fashion, and fall beauty. I'm in the process of getting my own wardrobe and makeup kit ready for a "return to fashion", but I've decided that I'll stick with quality neutrals and then add less expensive splashes of fun, trendier items.

So here's my question to you: are you cutting back because of the recession? Or are you starting to pick up with your spending? And finally, how is the recession affecting your beauty budget/buying habits. Leave me a comment and let me know!

Blog Archive