Battle of the Eyelash Curlers!


It's Revlon's eyelash curler (top) vs. Shu Uemura's curler (bottom). Who will win?

As a kid, I was mildly afraid of my mother's eyelash curler. It looked like a torture device, and the thought of putting it anywhere near my eyes was unappealing. Times have changed, and I use an eyelash curler almost every day of my life.

When it comes to eyelash curlers, there are two titans in the field: Revlon's budget-friendly classic curler and Shu Uemura's spendy trendy curler (it was even name checked in The Devil Wears Prada). The Revlon curler costs about $4 and is available at drugstores. The Shu Uemura curler will set you back $19 and can be picked up at Sephora or department stores.

I have both and put them to a head to head battle. It's the Revlon eyelash curler vs. the Shu Uemura eyelash curler!

ROUND 1: APPEARANCE
Both curlers look very much the same. The only difference is that the Shu Uemura curler is straight across the top which Revlon has a somewhat scalloped edge. The Shu Uemura pad is black rubber; the Revlon pad is white.
ROUND 1 WINNER: Draw. There is virtually no difference, so there is no winner and no loser.

ROUND 2: USE
Both are easy to use and require very little effort to curl my lashes. I am going to give Shu Uemura a slight advantage in this category because I didn't have to apply as much pressure as the Revlon curler and the Shu Uemura's motion felt slightly more smooth.
ROUND 2 WINNER: Shu Uemura, but not by much.

ROUND 3: CURL RESULTS
After using both curlers regularly for a couple of weeks now, I can honestly tell you that I don't see that much of a difference between Revlon and Shu Uemura. Both made my lashes look great!
ROUND 3 WINNER: Draw!

OVERALL: Unless you are a professional makeup artist or are obsessed with brand names and hip products, I say save yourself $15 and buy the Revlon eyelash curler. You won't notice that much of a difference between the expensive curler and the drugstore brand. I certainly didn't see enough differences to warrant spending $19 instead of $4. Hell, use the $15 you'll save to buy yourself a spendy mascara instead!

Blog Archive