Totally necessary: my makeup brushes!

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't care for brushes until about a year and a half ago. Now I cannot bear the thought of not having them! I feel a little silly. Anyway, brushes are excellent tools to make the application of foundation, eyeshadow, blush and other cosmetics really easy.

At first I didn't know what brush to get. I remember buying some powder brush in Walmart, but the bristles were so stiff and hard, I hated it. Then I look for information about brushes on YouTube (of course!). I heard and read so many good things about the MAC brushes, I decided I wanted to try them right away. Still, the first one I got was the MAC 205 Mascara Fan Brush. I thought it was an amazing but secure brush to start with (I mean, how was it gonna fail me?). Then, after looking at the other brushes at the store and feeling them (so soft, OMG!) I decided I was gonna get them all. I'm getting there. Yeah, I passed the line of needing brushes: now it's pure obsession.

If you're gonna spend on some brushes, I first recommend doing some "homework", watch videos on the net (like YouTube, Temptalia.com or Specktra.net) and if possible, go to the store. See what brushes people use, how they use them and visualize yourself using the specific brush you may be interested in. If you think it's a waste of time, don't bother getting a new brush. For example, many people love foundation brushes. I'm not too fond of them. The only one I truly love is the Image Essential Foundation brush. In only cost about $10 USD! I got that one after trying out other sizes that just didn't do it for me (see pics about the other foundation brushes below).

Putting aside my first experience with a cheap brush, I now know there are really good+cheap brushes out there, like those from Image Essentials (I found them at Kmart) and Coastal Scents. If you're curious about other brushes, Sephora has the excellent Professionnel line that are a just a bit more pricey but really,really good.

As of today, my fave brushes are:
1. MAC 109 ($32 USD--multipurpose, I use it for liquid, cream or powder foundation, powder or cream blush, apply highlighter or contouring the face. Love it.)
2. Sephora Powder Brush #49 (about $30 USD, really soft!)
3. MAC 182 ($45 USD; just bought it and it is already a favorite of mine. The softest kabuki brush I've ever used.)
4. Coastal Scent Italian Badger Large Buffer (I got it for $10USD maybe?: great for powder foundation)
3. MAC 227 ($30 USD--great for blending harsh lines and application of shadow all over the lid)
5. MAC 217 and 239 brushes ($22.50 and $24.50, respectively; my fave brushes for applying eyeshadow. I also use the 239 wet to apply pigments!

I want to show you a few pics of my collection. I have MAC, Sephora and Coastal Scent brushes. Also other cheap brushes that have prove to be really good!

Coastal Scents Brushes
From the top (Horizontal): Pink Angled Taklon Liner Brush,
Pink Oval Synthetic Concealer Brush and Chisel Detail Mini Brush
Left to Right: Italian Badger Deluxe Fan Brush, Italian Badger
Buffer Brush-Large, Angled Blush Brush, Large Paddle Face Brush,
Foundation/Concealer Brush-Large


SEPHORA Brushes
From the top (Horizontal): #14(smudge), #11(brow comb)
Left to Right: #49(face powder), #44(bronzer), #13(rounded crease),
#25 (shadow-synthetic),
#24 (smaller shadow-synthetic),
#42(flat blush) & #21(all over shadow)



MAC Brushes
From the top (Horizontal): 129, 168 & 187
Left to Right: 209, 205, 266, 217,222, 239, 219, 194, 224, 252,
242, 204 227 & 109




MAC Brush 182 and Sephora Brush #50



Low-Cost Brushes (Various)
(Excellent to start with)
Left to Right: Image Essentials shadow brush; Sasha Cosmetics angled eyeliner
& oval lip brushes; Beauty Strokes smudge brush; Random e/s brush;
Revlon eyeliner brush; Perfection eyeshadow brush; Image Essentials crease
& foundation brushes; Perfection foundation brush; and
Image Essential foundation brush




If you have any question about these brushes, their use or performance, just let me know!


Vivan, RĂ­an y Amen!
(Live, Love & Laugh!)

Blog Archive